Cowboy Ding-A-Ling Robot

Fineas J. Whoopie

I've had to bite my tongue over this. My initial response was rather heated. What is it with Ding-A-Lings? We've had more issues with them than almost anything else. I can see that with the improvement in the quality of 3D printing we are going to revisit this issue many more times.

Simple honest dealing is all that is required. Like the guys say, "3D Printer Copy" or "Reproduction" or "Home Made" or "Replica" will inform potential buyers without the need for them to ask you for clarification. If the product is good enough your purchasers will be quite content. You're not selling snake oil.

Agreed; who could argue with an auction description that clearly informs potential buyers it's NOT made by Topper, however it's worded.  I'd sure like to see pics of the Cowboy Robot finished product, the one that passed the QC process mentioned above.

• 2 weeks later...

OK,  I am really glad I did not release the "aunteeq nicoteen" version of Cowboy.

Here is what I plan on using.  The year of manufacture will be in the title.  "Copyright 2015" Also the photos will be Copyright 2015.

new production version of an (pick one) unreleased/prototype/concept/impossible to find toy.  

For Detecto, I plan on also using the word Replicant  with a disclosure this is a robot made by the seller not Topper Toys.

This listing recommendation is from my trusted friend and long time Ding collector extrordinaire.  Also an auction buyer of many Ding a Lings.  He goes as far back as the Big Red Toybox.  He agrees with you all that it was not enough of a title.  

The method used to make these robots is a trade secret.  I will not be describing that.  Only that it is plastic.  I posted on this site how I make them on another thread. (linked above) But I don't show that outside the digital walls of the Alphadrome.  It was only for you guys and gals to see.  And anyone who can find the Alphadrome.

Certainly an improvement on your original listing, Jexx.

On Alphadrome we celebrate the fact that a robot is home made. Look at the Roboter 700 and Susie Robette, top quality copies of existing robots. Then look at the imaginative creations of people like John Rigg. You are in good company, and your trade secret is safe on Alphadrome.

I am familiar with the complexity of each step of the 3D printing process. I couldn't produce anything one tenth as good as your robots. You really don't need to conceal anything. Your robots are excellent and will sell themselves, even if they are 3D printed. My only concern would be the fact that the numbers are potentially unlimited: there are no molds to wear out, the components are unlimited and as the technology improves the copies will get better each year. You are not the first to produce home-made Ding-A-Lings and you won't be the last.

Here a DIY copy of the Topper Detecto Ding-A-Ling that appeared on Ebay many years ago. I don't know if it was copyrighted, whatever that means. The method of production also remains a secret, but probably involved a garage and a craft knife. We had fun reading a description that tried very hard to suggest that it was a prototype without admitting that it was home made. When it reached $1400 the seller got cold feet and pulled it. It was a competent little copy with blurred pictures to help confuse the unwary. I bet it eventually changed hands for a decent sum, though.

post-2-1136380091.thumb.jpg.b8dadba3a68e

Thanks everyone.

That Detecto was made by my good friend on the west coast.  He runs the Ding web site.  

I agree the numbers of these Replicant /reproduction robots need to be few.  If you search eBay, you will see I hardly ever sell them.  

I have included pictures of the quality controlled cowboy.  Cowboy walks with the vintage power pack and also rides the Skyways.  Thanks for asking.

Sir Brian.  Here is what it is with Ding a Lings.  Myself and many other Ding collectors just want to be done.  We want to have the full set because it looks great all together.  We want to move on.  The few collectors that actually end up with a Spy and a Policeman can complete the collection with my help.  I am not going to make Spy or Policeman because they exist and come up for bid.  And it would devalue my SPY and Policeman. 

There is only one known vintage bank and one Cowboy in a set together.  Not even made by Topper, but a Japanese company.  Also, I have pictures of another Cowboy that is different from the Japanese released version.  So no one knows where that is.  The Cowboy I made is based on this photo of the American looking version alone.  I had no measurements.  Only two views.

There is a drawing and a very foggy commercial showing Detecto.  No Detectos have ever surfaced.  And we have all been looking for 20 years or more.

The difficult part about getting the full set is the other collectors themselves.  There are too many collectors sitting on multiple Spy and Policeman Dings.  They want to hold the value of course, but it makes it nearly impossible for the average collector to get a Spy or a Policeman.  So those two are the real hurdle to a full collection.  The only people who will pay top dollar for my robots usually have a Spy and a Policeman.  And they know they can't buy a Vintage Cowboy for anything under $1800.  The only way anyone is going to get a Detecto, Bank, or Cowboy is to buy a Replicant.  The cost of the Replicants covers my efforts for the extremely small number of potential buyers.  That in itself keeps these copies rare.Cowboy2.thumb.jpg.55337a339eeba1a5dfa265Cowboy1.thumb.jpg.5a2d630b2d86df0de870ed

COWBOY_DING-A-LING.jpg

Hello All

This is Daniel, owner of the Ding site JexxElectron mentioned above. I'm not involved with the forum much due to life distractions however I do peruse the discussions once in a while. Just wanted to chime in here. These reproductions are great. I've been working on assembling a few. The detail is excellent so I really appreciate all the effort that goes into the design and execution. Its quite likely I'll never find an original of many of the rare designs and I'm more than happy to have these.

BTW that Detecto the Jexx referred to was not my work nor my auction. I remember seeing it years ago when it came up for sale. I have created a few custom Dings but JexxElectron's are far better.

Daniel

Thank you Fineas.

Daniel, sorry.  Glad to hear that isn't your son.  He looks just a bit scary.  I wondered where that Detecto came from.  I did not know someone tried to sell that skullTecto.  OK here is a look at what is next.

20150904_001739.jpg

I wish they had given him a mouth.