Cowboy Ding-A-Ling Robot

Fineas J. Whoopie

This cowboy robot just sold for over $400. The plastic looks very strange to me, perhaps a product of a 3-D printer? Opinions please. I notice that the description doesn't call the robot a Ding A Ling, only the backpack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cowboy-Robot-with-Ding-a-Ling-Dingaling-Backplate-/231635824750?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=FysiRVS2PgbXUOlXFKj6nqv2Nv4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

$_1.jpg

I was going through my flagged auctions and was about to write about this but you beat me to it Fin. Very suspicious indeed; $447 on this is a total fail for the winner.  It's got to be 3D printed...

As Joe K pointed out, these are modern Reproductions.  This Cowboy robot was my auction.  Fineas thank you for pointing out that this was not claimed to be a Ding a Ling robot.  These bidders asked good questions.  They were all answered prior to auction close.  They were all told this robot was a reproduction of modern construction.  Since experienced Ding a Ling collectors know that a vintage Cowboy would go for $2000 at least, and that only one has ever come up for sale, having a reproduction is the only way the Ding a Ling collections can be completed.  And how can one value a small run repro?  Look at the value of the Atomic Man reproductions for proof.  I also have sold a few Banks on eBay.  No one has ever returned my eBay auction robots or asked for a refund.   

The pictures Fineas J. Whoopie liberated from my auction are pictures of the prototype.  The actual robot that was sent was a completed and quality controlled version. it is less than accurate for Tinman to use words like suspicious when these bidders are getting full disclosure.  I make sure no one thinks these are vintage.  Also the Bidders of this auction did not feel this was a total fail at all.  Only you have expressed that opinion, Tinman.  If I don't somehow use the Ding a Ling robot name somehow, or put these in vintage Ding a Ling auction pictures how would people know they even exist?  Otherwise, no one can find these auctions.  People who missed getting a Bank on eBay were upset I did not list it more clearly.  I work very hard to make these reproductions.  It's not easy and even at the prices they sell for, I am at a loss because I just can't make or sell that many.  So please consider that if you had more facts, this auction might not be "suspicious" at all but maybe even a welcome way to get a Cowboy replicant.

I completely agree JexxElectron. This auction would not need any further discussion if we had more information about the fact that the robot being sold in your auction was a replicant . Just a friendly suggestion - next time include that in the description, or at the very least post the questions and answers. It will go a long way towards dispelling any confusions or suspicions.

Couldn't agree more, Fin. Simply including the word copy would avoid any possibility of confusion.

Topper Ding-A-Ling Cowboy 3D Printed Copy or Topper Ding-A-Ling Detecto 3D Printed Copy would tell the story.

I apologize Jexx, didn't want to step on any member's toes but I have to concur with Fineas, the auction description wasn't clear by any stretch and we couldn't see the bidder communication mentioned above.  As long-standing Alphadrome members and robot/space toy collectors we've seen MANY auctions meant to deceive the uninformed buyer, and honestly, this appeared like another one.  Many Dromers understand the work it takes to do something like this and can appreciate your efforts but "Cowboy Robot with Ding-A-Ling Backplate" doesn't speak to me as being a reproduction auction; a description like that only promotes discussion and doubt.  Maybe your auction description would do better to describe your reproduction process and the efforts you take to deliver a quality, affordable alternative to the real thing?

I must agree.  I thought you guys were trying to give me a hard time but I realize you might be actually trying to help me.  I will put the word Copy and reproduction in the auction descriptions from now on.  Your points are well taken.

I am releasing a Detecto on eBay this month, but I don't know what to call it.  As far as I can tell, there was never a Detecto produced or sold by Topper.  Are any of you Ding collectors that might know this?  There is only marketing pictures of a robot that was never made.  So the word Reproduction or copy would be inaccurate.  What word would be accurate?  Replicant is a fantasy word, but it fits for me.  I am asking for your help in this.  I want to make robots, not enemies.  Thanks.

Well stated, everyone.   It can seem like Alphadromers go in to 'Super Hero' mode when we see something that is suspect, many many times we've been known to diplomatically intervene regarding listings for everything from listings for the common recent Rock Em Sock Em Robots which are 'vintage' but very different from the 1960's originals however the seller hasn't realized their mistake, to very rare items in which the posted e-bay pics are stolen from earlier auctions. In these cases we'll generally ask for more specific photos to prove the seller actually has the item, sometimes that's enough to have the listing removed.  

Welcome to Alphadrome JexxElectron. 

OK Alphadromers.  I am going to auction off a Detecto ding a Ling.  If someone shows me proof of the existence of a production Detecto, I will call this a reproduction or copy.  Otherwise, I will make clear that it is a production of a never produced robot only appearing in marketing photos.  Does anyone know if Detecto was ever produced?  If not,, there is nothing to copy.  Making a 3D versioin from a drawing is not copy or reproduction, it is inspiration according to Copyright law.  Also, the Ding a Ling copyrights have been abandonded.  ie there is no claiming owner.  So what verbage will keep the robot auction committee feeling like I am playing fair?

If you are in fact interested in our opinions, I would say giving more information than the last time would be a nice start. The line "So what verbage will keep the robot auction committee feeling like I am playing fair?" feels like an angry sarcastic comment. My advice is to not let that appearance take over. It won't do anyone any good. I don't think anyone here was concerned about the copyright issues, we were only wondering about the origin of the cowboy robot you had listed. As long as that is clear in the new auction I don't think you will have the same confusion or questions. Good luck.

How about "3-D PRINTED" or "3-D COPY" or just plain old "REPRODUCTION." There is nothing complicated here and you certainly don't need advice as to how to word your listings. I found the Cowboy auction purposely vague, as I'm sure other members did, otherwise this thread wouldn't have been started. You didn't use the term Ding-A-Ling, but you used "Cowboy Robot," which is enough. If you are going to use Topper's names, you can certainly explain what you are selling. I don't know why you skirted this. What if the bidders didn't ask questions? What if they were not experienced?" We go through all the time with time with repro tin robots. It is very easy for a new collector to get snagged.