Cragstan Astronaut Question!

bartzenegger

most everyone here knows i have been restoreing my cragstan astronaut, well it works fine but.......

the batteries seem to be to heavy! robot doesnt really walk forward ( legs and feet move fine ) just kind stays in one place cuz tilted back to far! is this normal ? what should i do?

thanks

Well this was a problem with the design of this robot. As the batteries on the backpack are too heavy he looses balance. Mine do walk, but if I touch them when walking, they fall...is that what's happening with yours or it doesn't walk at all?

first thing to do is to try flashlight batteries. modern batteries are a lot heavier than those from the 60s, and they can throw things off. after that, look in the feet to make sure the pawls are flopping freely and ratcheting the tires.

Well this was a problem with the design of this robot. As the batteries on the backpack are too heavy he looses balance. Mine do walk, but if I touch them when walking, they fall...is that what's happening with yours or it doesn't walk at all?

he does walk but its more like skateing . thanks i was thinking it was a design thing!

first thing to do is to try flashlight batteries. modern batteries are a lot heavier than those from the 60s, and they can throw things off. after that, look in the feet to make sure the pawls are flopping freely and ratcheting the tires.

i never knew there was a special battery for flash lights! - feet and wheels are fine! wheels do grab! if i push ( just barely) from the top near dome he walks fine! im thinking of putting small weights inside upper part of shell on each side !

I sometimes have this same problem with non-fall toys because they were designed to be ballanced properly once the batteries were in. What I've found is that the cheaper modern batteries tend to be lighter than the more expensive ones.

Yeah probably old batteries were lighter so the robots/toys were designed for those...

(am I crazy? I kind of have the vague idea they were made of thick board on the outside) :blink:

Here's a tip: Go to one of the many Dollar Stores (Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc), and get your batteries there... They're not alkaline, they're just standard batteries (usually Panasonic)... They're a lot lighter-weight, they come in all sizes (D cells down to AAA), and they only cost a dollar-a-pair...come to think of it, the D & C cells are a buck-a-pair, the AA and AAA are 4 for a dollar. Sure, they don't last very long compared to Alkalines, but they'll run your robot long enough to make a video of it...

I,ve got the blue and the red version of these and they are both the same, they tip over with modern batteries. I get round it by using rechargables, there feather weight.

Also they only seem to walk on rougher surfaces, newspaper works as the wheels can grip and not just slide back which causes marching on the spot.

Talking of rechargables, I also use them in my Yon talking robot as I find if I use modern batts he talks to quickly and in a high pitch tone.

Not in keeping with a big tough threatening robot at all.

(am I crazy? I kind of have the vague idea they were made of thick board on the outside)

You're right, Dux. I can remember, as a child, powering up some of my very first battery toys using 'D'-cell batteries whose outer shell was made of rolled, thick cardboard.

It's no wonder they did such devastating damage when they leaked!

thanks guys i will try ! at least its not only my robot! i heard they are coming out with repos of this bot! i wonder if it will have the same problem.

Well I understand that the Space Conqueror was in the "to do" list of Tim Tom Toys. Now I don't know if someone else is planning to do a repop of it.

I know I've brought this up before, but there is another

advantage of using cheap carbon batteries in stead of

alkalines. Carbon batteries are less likely to burn out

the low voltage lights in battery operated toys. A couple

years ago, I saw a fresh set of Duracells blow out both

eye bulbs in a R-35, OUCH ! If you put a voltmeter across

carbon batteries, the voltage drops considerably when

the toy is switched on. Try the same thing with alkalines

and the voltage barely moves. Carbon batteries are lighter

and generally have a smaller diameter than alkalines. Try

fitting Energizers in the legs of a Smoking or Mechanized

robot... :o