You have got to see this Flying Mars Explorer bot

robothut

I did a servo control robot conversion for Jay B. He had a shell of a Mars Explorer robot. No guts or wheels or arms or even a battery door, even the head was missing the two visors that open.

check out this you tube.

or my web site for more info.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/FlyingMarsExplorer.html

The robot has 8 servos to control all the actions and a digital sound chip programed for a specific alarm sound. I used special voltage converter chips so the robot could operate from the 2 D cells it was set up to use.

The count down display is a hand built RGB display I made . The visor doors are made from metal, the base plate was built from aluminum, the battery door was from the junk box. I used a Pololu 12 channel controler for all the servo programed movments.

DSC01045.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

DSC01056.jpg

DSC01057.jpg

DSC01058.jpg

DSC01059.jpg

DSC01060.jpg

DSC01061.jpg

DSC01062.jpg

The pictures show the robot connected to the computer as it was easier to take pictures if I could freeze each frame of the animation. Here is what the robot does in

case you can not view the You tube .

On power up the visor door open up the chest display counts down from 5 too 1 and a alarm sound goes off with each count down change. The visor then closes and the robot tips forward in to flying position. The arms swing out and the robot goes forward for about 4 seconds then stops. The robot then stands back up right and the arms come down and the visor open. The robot now turns around and the visor closes. The action repeats until switched Off. 

Me looking at this is an astonishing accomplishment. Thinking of this custom version being mass produced for kids back in the day would have scared the SH-T out of them! Very nice masterwork John. The Explorer is on my hit list, Now I will watch faithfully on the auction block Sunday eves when Jay puts it up for sale. Yeah, I know. Never. Ever. If I sent you an empty shell of an egg you could probably send me a superior version of a chicken!:hail:

John you've outdone yourself this time. Magnificent + as always.  

All the John Rigg custom 'bots at our house are here for good, they're not allowed to leave home.  EVER!  :lecture:

Archived