1954 - Tommy-Ray Gun and Helmet (Australian version) by Fethalite

ANZinSpace

The Tommy Ray Space gun and Helmet are most likely the Australian one made under the Fethalite Brand. I have copies of ads and newspaper articles for them but have never sighted either of them.

Here's the 1954 ads I have a copy of for them:

post-1110-0-91465200-1373547897_thumb.jppost-1110-0-03364800-1373547923_thumb.jppost-1110-0-04259800-1373547940_thumb.jp

Given Australia's trade barriers at the time the space suit is most likely going to be a Dan Dare outfit imported from the UK or one made locally by Lindsays who made a lot of kids costumes in the 50's and 60's. I wonder if the space watch is Dan Dare merchandise. I know a pocket watch was made, does anyone know if they made a wristwatch as well?

Also on the other page that was in the original photo you can just make out a Dan Dare card game pack.

The thing that amuses me most about this advert is the placing of the Bird of Paradise toy amongst all the space toys. I would have thought they'd put the rocket fighter in there or the pencil case. As to the pencil case it could be the one I found advertised in a 1950's newspaper which was similar in style to one Doc Atomic posted except for the positioning of the sharpener. I'll try and find the ad for it.

Archived