Mars King Repair

Steve Zodiak

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this has been addressed previously, but...

I recently acquired a Mars King (Horikawa,1968, Japan) that had issues. Mainly, his arms did not raise high into the air to properly intimidate his mighty rule of the planet Mars.. The arms are a vulnerable area on the King due to the flimsy internal design. On the one I have, the arms just sort of jiggle by his side. I thought I would post my corrective surgery diagram for anyone else stricken with this horrible condition and not too squeamish to correct it.. Today's surgery revealed the problem. The very small joint marked A takes the brunt of pressure and is easily stripped from the raising force against it, thus not allowing the cam to rotate the arms properly upwards. A bit of plumber's weld epoxy on this joint corrected the problem. Additionally, the Cam arm (B) is really thin tin. Mine was bent when I opened him up due to the pressure on it. I corrected this by creating a kind of splint (not shown) a cut up tongue depressor  secured by thin copper wire wrapped around the arm. Finally, before closing up the body, I adjusted his mighty roar/siren as it was was very weak. To correct this there is a little thin metal strip coming off the cardboard drum (seen just above C) that needs to rest firmly against the top of a turning gear to create the sound (sorry the photo does not pick up this detail). Bending this so it lay more firmly against the rotating gear immediately produced a mightily annoying and fearful siren. 

Anyway, the surgery was a major success. I love this little Robot. For the most part I usually find Horikawa to be the Mustang muscle car of the tin Robot world. 

Mars king.jpg

Welcome Steve Zodiac to Alphadrome.

Never seen the inside of (one of my favourite robots) the Mars King with his Claxon-style siren. Thanks for posting the great clear photo and a great description of how this guy operates.

For the most part I usually find Horikawa to be the Mustang muscle car of the tin Robot world.

10 Points :thumbs:

Nice to see members getting their hands dirty. Glad it worked out well for you, it is always a deep intake of breath when you start to open that first tab. Fab feeling when it works again.

cheers

Chilli

Measuring in at about 9 1/2" tall, this is one of the smaller Horikawa's. It's amazing just how much this Robot has to offer in such a compact space.

Archived