German Translation

Tinman

Genealogy is another hobby of mine and I came across a short article about a 6x great grand aunt written in old fraktur German, this is how I transcribed it:

In Northumberland County starb ver kurzem die witte Gertrude Beisel im 99 sten jahres ihres alters.   Sie war der fruheste ansiedler in der Mahanoy gegend und soll eine nachkommenschaft von 604 kinder, enkel, urenkel, und ururenkel hinterlassen haben.

I was wondering if one of our members could translate it into English, I have the a general idea of what it says but was wondering if I missed something...here's the article, thanks for the help:

Gertrude Beisel (1).JPG

Hi Bill,

tried my very best. Note: the word Wittwe (widow) nowadays is written Witwe. People with the name Beisel often came from around Heidelberg and some from Aachen.

Eine große Nachkommenschaft

In Northumberland County starb vor kurzem die Wittwe Gertrude Beisel im 99sten Jahr ihres Alters. Sie war der früheste Ansiedler in der Mahonoy Gegend und soll eine Nachkommenschaft von 604 Kinder, Enkel, Urenkel, und Ururenkel hinterlassen haben.

My Translation:

A lot of descendants

In Northumberland County dies recently the widow Gertrude Beisel in the 99th year of her age. She was the earliest settler in the Mahonoy region and shall leave descandants of 604 children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and great great grandchildren.

Babelfish translation:

A large offspring

In northumberland County died recently the widow Gertrude Beisel in 99th year of her age. She was the earliest settlers in the area and Mahonoy is a progeny of 604 children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great grandson have left.

Thanks for the assistance BR, it's very much appreciated; I had a general idea what it said but you filled in some of the blanks.  Gertrude's maiden name was Wagner and she married a Jacob Beisel; she passed in 1859.  I have way more German ancestry than I ever thought and a lot of the headstones I locate are written in German fraktur...not easy to read, at least for me.

Many thanks, Bill

Archived