Lite-O-Wheel red lantern

robothut

Oz had one of those boring red lantern robots, yea I have one too, all they did was spray red paint over a already painted  lantern repro. Any way Oz asked that I add some sequetial lights to a silver ring thingy to the chest. I decided to do a back lit effect so that the silver ring area looked solid when not back lit. I used a old school LM4017 decade counter chip to drive 10 ultra bright red LED's in sequence. Normally you would build a simple clock circuit to drive the chip to set the speed of the LED sequence but I thought wouldn't it be cool if I used a mechanical switch tied to the gear box to control the speed of the rotating lites, then they would would change with the changes in speed of the robot "do to load or battery wear". I also used a step up voltage converter as talked about in a different thread. This one will provide 5 volts from a source voltage as low as 1/2 volt. It works great. I even took out one of the battery from the remote, jumped the missing battery with a wire and ran the robot at 1/2 power. The lite effect worked perfectly. I added back the mouth artwork that they had painted over.

A short you tube will show the lite effect best.

this link to my robothut web site has more pictures.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/LiteOwheelRedLantern.html

They did Stamp/Number them between the legs but it really needed a mouth 

Having done just 24 of them they should have added a mouth decal 

& in retrospect a box with the red robot would have been cool.

The bag is flimsy & I suspect most collectors won't want to remove it from the bag 

Thanks Pat, this red robot could have been much more with a few details like a mouth decal. Luckily I just got another in the bag 

& now there are only 23 unmolested lol 

I have a un opened one in the bag as well, I have had it many years. They probably made a million of them.

Archived