Marx Ray Gun

Racerxc70

The first time I bought one of these guns it was missing the back of the rocket shaped "sight" like this one, but it looked just like the examples in both Ray Gun and Zap! so I didn't realize it was broken. That's how common this problem is - both raygun books document guns with that piece broken off.

Mr. Whoopie

Do you think that there is a weight or spring or  something else that holds down the flint?

Racerxc70 -  I think you are referring to the missing flap piece on the top, as this example is missing that too. The flap doesn't hold the flint in place (if I remember correctly - too much trouble to get to mine and make sure) I'm pretty sure it's just a door so you can access the flint. I'm not sure if this piece is missing any of the internal mechanisms related to the flint

marx.jpg

OK curiosity got the best of me so I moved the furniture necessary to get to my Rex Mars gun. It appears that my example may be missing a piece that holds the flint in place over the striking wheel. Does anyone have a sparking example and if so can you please post a pic of a working guns mechanism? Thanks!

4.JPG

There isn't a place for the flap to actually hold a flint, my guess is there is supposed to be a piece that stretches from the hole on the right over to the strike wheel on the left but I don't know for sure. Hopefully someone will be able to post a pic showing a complete and working mechanism.

1.JPG

In my minds eye I can see what you are saying....thanks 

you're the greatest  (sorry I couldn't help myself )

I've got a MIB example at home -- I'll take a look when I'm back this evening. I'm pretty sure Fin is right, though. 

Here's a photo of my sparking mechanism. As Fineas surmised, there's a small metal plate/arm that holds the sparker in place. 

photo-4.thumb.JPG.2862638f4b6a59f1302bb1

• 2 years later...

Archived