Robot Commando Advice Needed

double d

Hello, I'm new to the forum, and I'm finding this site to be a great resource for all things robot-related. My main projects are an Alps TV Robot that I got for Christmas in '61, and a Robot Commando that I picked up last year from a local collector. I'll start with the RC: Has anyone been able to repair the worn "blue teeth" on the inside of the controller? The middle section teeth on mine are nubbed down, so it's a bit of a wrestling match to get the knob up and down the dial. I've seen plastic repair products like Plast-Aid advertised, but is there another work-around besides locating another one? Any advice and/or warnings would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

here are some pictures from my junk box of the control unit in question. You can see that the linear blue gear is a cast part of the remote back so it can only be replaced with a complete new back part or make a new back part.  and you can see the place when the blue teeth are worn down in this junked out part. I don't think a 3d printer part would be strong enough to last. You can also see the white knob gear some what. now this is just styrene plastic so I guess a guy could make new plastic teeth, grind out the old ones and glue in the new ones with plastic solvent based glue. but after all that work the teeth will still wear down fast I think.

DSC01010.jpg

DSC01011.jpg

DSC01012.jpg

DSC01013.jpg

Thanks for sending the photos. It looks like my controller has the same problem---the middle blue teeth are worn down to the point where they do not engage with the gears on the control knob. Seems this was a common problem with the over zealous kids behind the controls. A replacement seems to be the best way to address the problem, so the hunt is on.

There are recent posts about the ALPS TV robot

​Racerxc70, Thanks for the info. I was able to find several of the past posts that were very helpful. 

• Brian.. changed the title to Robot Commando Advice Needed

Archived