Moon Detector made by Yonezawa

robothut

I had to do some battery box repair work on a Moon Dectector so thought I would take pictures since in order to get to the batttery box you must take the toy 99% a part. The main motor and drive gears box uses metal gears but the drive that runs the top antenna and the light flashers and the back rotating thingy are all plastic gears and normally I find them to be split.

here is a short video "once you tube gets done processing it"  http://youtu.be/kNlJfBjhkk8 

I did not have the top antenna so could not video with it in place but the shaft is rotating.

DSC00900.jpg

DSC00911.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

DSC00905.jpg

DSC00906.jpg

DSC00901.jpg

NIce job John.....I enjoyed the viedo and this space toy has been on my want list but sorry to say I have never owned one.  The front lights are cool the way they wiggle and I like the action of the toy.

Where do you get your cog gears from, I've been using gizmozone.com from China, parts take about three weeks.

I have a room full of junk toys that donate there parts as needed Racerxc70. Yes the front lights are nice in that they alternately light Nasa.

Thank for the inside photos & video John, I always enjoy seeing how these old toys work and the clever way they are constructed, also useful for future repairs. 

This is such a cool toy. It's amazing how more high tech some of these "old" toys display compared to some of the new ones. I just find it incredible how with the right number of gears and a small motor they could make these little tin toys do what they did. Thanks for the pics and video, John.

• Brian.. changed the title to Moon Detector made by Yonezawa
  • 2 years later...

Just repaired another Moon Detector. This one had the rusted out battery door and contacts, split plastic gears and a dead motor.

DSC04641.jpg

DSC04643.jpg

DSC04644.jpg

DSC04645.jpg

DSC04677.jpg

DSC04679.jpg

DSC04680.jpg

DSC04681.jpg

DSC04682.jpg

DSC04683.jpg

• 5 years later...
On 5/15/2015 at 12:36 AM, nasa said:

NIce job John.....I enjoyed the viedo and this space toy has been on my want list but sorry to say I have never owned one.  The front lights are cool the way they wiggle and I like the action of the toy.

On 1/13/2019 at 11:33 PM, robothut said:

Just repaired another Moon Detector. This one had the rusted out battery door and contacts, split plastic gears and a dead motor.

DSC04641.jpg

DSC04643.jpg

DSC04644.jpg

DSC04645.jpg

DSC04677.jpg

DSC04679.jpg

DSC04680.jpg

DSC04681.jpg

DSC04682.jpg

DSC04683.jpg

On 5/15/2015 at 12:36 AM, nasa said:

Perfet job. I've just bought one with similar problems. Thanks for all the ideas. Mine doesn't have rubber tracks. Where can I buy a pair?

Kind regards