Battery Boxes: Name Of Insulating Material? ( Phenolic Sheet )

bartzenegger

hi,

on my space conqueror , im replaceing a battery contact . what is the name of the card board that contact is attched to? where can i get this material?

thanks

its the material below contact on the left.

DSC00614.JPG

I've been wondering if you could use some ordinary good quality art cardboard, soak it in varnish or resin of some type and then dry it out for use as a battery box material. The old stuff seems a lot like treated paper.

I've been wondering if you could use some ordinary good quality art cardboard, soak it in varnish or resin of some type and then dry it out for use as a battery box material. The old stuff seems a lot like treated paper.

why would you have to treat the card board?

If I am not mistaken the thick cardboard started life as gasket material. ( You know, between the valve cover and the mainblock etc.)

I have reams of it in all sort of colours and thicknesses from a defunct engine-repairer.

The "copper" contacts, are usually Phosphor-bronze. This is "springy". Ordinary brass is plastic (i.e. it takes a shape), to maintain good contact

the strips should be elastic.

Does anybody have, or know a source of, 2 D-cell metal, round, flashlights? For a small series of DIY-robots, I would like to use them as

remote's

If I am not mistaken the thick cardboard started life as gasket material. ( You know, between the valve cover and the mainblock etc.)

I have reams of it in all sort of colours and thicknesses from a defunct engine-repairer.

The "copper" contacts, are usually Phosphor-bronze. This is "springy". Ordinary brass is plastic (i.e. it takes a shape), to maintain good contact

the strips should be elastic.

Does anybody have, or know a source of, 2 D-cell metal, round, flashlights? For a small series of DIY-robots, I would like to use them as

remote's

sorry, cant help you but thanks for the info!

Oooops!

Looking at the pic. longer than a nano-second it appear to be metal and not plastic as I erroneously thought.

Sorry.

In answer to your question: Yes.

If you would have ask me a month ago you could have

had a dozen of these. I picked up a box of these old

stock lights from a guy who used to own a hardware

store. They were from the late 60's , early 70's and

didn't sell due to the funky colors. I sold a few and gave

the rest away. This last one will be appropriate for the

kids to use on Halloween. You're welcome to it after

that... :P

What you are looking for is called "phenolic". From the San Diego Plastics site: Phenolic sheet is a hard, dense material made by applying heat and pressure to layers of paper or glass cloth impregnated with synthetic resin. These layers of laminations are usually of cellulose paper, cotton fabrics, synthetic yarn fabrics, glass fabrics or unwoven fabrics. When heat and pressure are applied to the layers, a chemical reaction (polymerization) transforms the layers into a high-pressure thermosetting industrial laminated plastic. Info at: San Diego Plastics

or thicker cut size grades at: US Plastics

What you are looking for is called "phenolic". From the San Diego Plastics site: Phenolic sheet is a hard, dense material made by applying heat and pressure to layers of paper or glass cloth impregnated with synthetic resin. These layers of laminations are usually of cellulose paper, cotton fabrics, synthetic yarn fabrics, glass fabrics or unwoven fabrics. When heat and pressure are applied to the layers, a chemical reaction (polymerization) transforms the layers into a high-pressure thermosetting industrial laminated plastic. Info at: San Diego Plastics

or thicker cut size grades at: US Plastics

nice chief!!!!!! thanks

• Brian.. changed the title to Battery Boxes: Name Of Material?

Archived