MUSICAL DUMMER ROBOT BOX RESTORATION

Phil R

I recently restored this Drummer Robot box and drum. Both were torn and the drum head had to be taken apart reinforced and reglued by torn sections.

P4170001.JPG

P4170002.JPG

P4200001-003.JPG

P4200002-002.JPG

P4210003-001.JPG

As to the drum I had to unscrew the metal ring, cut the drum in half, fit a round spacer(thickness of light poster board) inside from the bottom up, glue in place level with the torn paper litho and then carefully glue down each torn section. I then had to coat  the entire surface with clear white glue so that the surface would be smooth when I touched up any white lines showing where the pieces fit together or pieces missing. Then I glued the two pieces back together and reattached the metal ring. I also had to remove some tape and the clear plastic lamination over the paper litho. I coated the litho after repairs to simulate the original plastic coating that could not be retained during repairs. Simple, right?

Wow, it is so useful to see before and after with the info.

Can I ask if it is the standard PVA glue that you refer to as white glue?

I notice the restored box has a slight shine, it that coated with watered down pva?

I know the difficulty that you must have had in the paper repair, I stuck together an alps tv space man paper screen from the front, it had ripped in 2, that was long painful work, I had to use super glue a little at a time as I had to hold it as it dried, plus a bit of light painting to finish.

Cheers

Chilli

Chillli, I used Flat spray krylon on the box which dries smooth but gives the box an eggshel/satin finish like the original finish. The photo I took has reflection from the white stock I use to photograph it on.  I used the same flat krylon on the drum paper. Carefully sprayed the krylon doesn't damage the surface of the paper or cardboard. I also use polycrylic clear satin over the krylon sprayed drum head to simulate the plastic coating that was over the paper. The box also had to be partially reinforced on the inside where the heaviest damage occurred. I use light weight cardboard from boxes, etc that have one side usually white on the glue side with the other side uncoated to match the inside of the box as much as possible

Thanks Phil, I realize you use the krylon to seal the finished box but when you said you coated the area with white glue was that pva glue which then gives you a even surface to work on with paint, after which you would spray with krylon to seal?

I have never tried to paint on the ripped cardboard as it looks as if it would just soak up the paint, the glue seems to be the solution by what you say.

cheers

Chilli

Archived