B-58 Forced Perspective

Eagle

Yesterday while cleaning the toys I noticed the Marx B-58 had ,,a run in with Kitty and she knocked the pitot tube off. Didn't break it. So I grabbed it and repaired at the airport.

While sitting there,,I though I'm going to try a little forced perspective photo shot. Behind is a special ops c-130. [My son's unit] and TMI cooling towers...Not bad for a first try. post-545-0-56377400-1427415953_thumb.jpg

Very nice, realistic enough to bring back a great memory. About 1969-70 or thereabouts, a private individual bought a Convair B-58 Hustler to use as his corporate jet. After picking it up from Davis-Monthan airbase boneyard in Tucson, he headed north, developed a mechanical problem & had to make an emergency landing at Deer Valley airport, a small regional airport in north Phoenix. It sat there for months, and my Dad, who worked at the Sperry Flight Systems plant across the road, got the scoop. Turns out the problem was relatively minor, and was fixed quickly. The real problem was that the runway (at that time) was not long enough for a safe takeoff roll, especially with Adobe Mountain not far from the end of the runway. The long wait was because the owner was looking for JATO bottles & the necessary hardware to attach them. When he was ready for takeoff, (launch?) my Dad got word & we went out to watch. They even took down the fence at the east end of the airport to let him get a longer takeoff roll. It was incredibly impressive to watch, and it virtually leaped into the air. I would guess, after seeing the "launch", that he would have made it without the bottles & was just playing it safe. Thanks for posting.

Oh man,,to watch a B-58 take off !!! You lucky man ! Those four J-79's going into burner 64,000 lbs of thrust. I can't imagine someone wanting that jet for private operation...OMG the fuel consumption. And the Ejection pods...those pods are scary.. Man were we at the top of our game during that period in aviation. I could sit and talk for days about this era in aviation development. Never met a B-58 pilot. Thanks for the story WJN !!! Love it.. :cheers:

I can't imagine someone wanting that jet for private operation...OMG the fuel consumption.

That's exactly what the company pilots said about it, and said he must have more money than sense. Word was that the guy flew B-58s during his Air Force career, and just loved the plane. I remember the pilots debating wether or not you could throttle back two engines to idle after reaching altitude & cruising speed to save fuel, but I don't think they reached a consensus.

The B-58 was one of my first models as a kid. I loved that plane. I'm surprised it isn't more popular in the history of great planes.

Archived