Moon Space Ship: How To Repair Bump And Go Action Mechanism

Mechanic robot

What a great forum this is. I recently bought a Moon Space Ship from the same series of 3 robot sleds that came out with the original Robby Space Patrol. The bump and go mechanism though does not work. The wheels turn and the motor comes on only when it touches the floor, not when you hold it in the air, and the bump and go is non-functioning. When it hits and object, it gets stuck there without turning. I was wondering if there's a way to fix this without taking it all apart as it's over 50 years old.

Hi M.R.

I think I saw the one you bought, very nice.

I seem to remember that one side of the drive wheels moves up and down a little, cannot remember exactly how it affects the drive but it does. It has something to do with turning that bottom plate though, which controls the bump and go.

If it really bugs you it is not to hard to release the circular bottom plate and have a look. You just get the one chance though as it weakens the tabs.

cheers

Chilli

Hi Chilli, Yes I noticed that too. One side of the wheels on the drive section goes up and down a little more than the other wheel. Maybe it needs cleaning or adjustment ? Strangely enough, on every other robot or space toy I have the dirve section that has the front bump and go wheels, spins around when turned on. On the Moon Car it does not. Just to be sure, on my repro Robby Space Patrol that drive does not spin around either, yet the bump and go works fine on that. I found that unusual.

Old school bump and go drive units have the motor /gear box built in to the wheel section that rotates " like Directional robot" and newer bump and go drive units have the motor gear box as part of the robot body and only a rotating shaft goes down to the wheel section. The rotating shaft tends to make the wheel section rotate as the shaft rotates, it also simplified the design a lot because they did not have to run power to the wheel section with a contact since the motor was now located in the robot body. Some old school bump and go units are built so that when you pick them up the motor wheel drive unit drops down just enough so that the motor will turn off and only turn ON when placed on the floor. this was considered a better design as it save the OLD carbon batter life as the kids picked up the toys and carried them around. Alos most of the Old school bump and go units had larger wheels and they ran at a slower speed, this makes for a poor bump and go design. The one wheel that can lift abit is the only way the unit can function as a bump and go unit. If both wheels had the same floor contact and drive then they would only drive forwards no matter what, but if one wheel can slip a little bit then the drive will turn when it hits some thing since one wheel has more drive than the other.

Hi robothut, It appears Cragstan's Mr Robot has the newer bump and go design since the wheel rotates while attached to a rotating shaft, and the motor is attached to the inside of one side of the robot.

Lavender robot "NON STOP ROBOT" has the motor in the wheel unit design but MACHINE MAN does not, and thats why Ray Rhor always thought that "this back before most collectors even knew there was a Machine Man robot" Machine man was the last of the gang bots to be made as it used the newer type bump and go design.

Hi robothut, is that why some robots have a problem with the bump and go ? I have a Cragstan's Mr Robot that spins in a very small circle just back and forth in a small tight circle. I thought maybe the wheels are a problem, or the gears ?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I sprayed some contact cleaner into the Moon Space ship in an attempt to fix the bump and go so that it works, but nothing. It hits an object and just stays there. Any suggestions ?

Would it have to be opened, or can something else be done without going to that measure ?

Thanks a million

Sound more like it is something to do with the dominant wheel that should force the bump and go mech to spin, Robothut should be able to suggest an answer as he knows the setup better than anyone. At a guess, you will probably only need to remove the round wheel base plate to "operate"but over to RH to fill in the finer details.

Cheers

Chilli

When you remove that plate you will find an axle with multi toothed gear which will be closer to one wheel, inbetween that gear and the wheel will be a brass spacer and most likely you will find a lint and hair "fur ball" wrapped around spacer and the axle interfering with the action, there maybe another "fur ball" on the other side of the axle also.

The photo is from a different toy, but it may be the same as yours.

image.jpg

Thanks Chilli, Thanks Racer,

I'll try cleaning that out after I remove the plate.Of course that will bend the tabs and they look so straight smooth right know. I hate to to have to do that.

By the way, I did see some lint spinning around when I sprayed the contact cleaner into it. Maybe I can try cleaning that without removing the plate ??    (Even though it's from the 50s it looks so clean and untouched.)

• Brian.. changed the title to Moon Space Ship: How To Repair Bump And Go Action Mechanism

Archived