Metal Tom Corbett Figures

Brian..

These metal Tom Corbett look interesting, though I would need proof of authenticity before spending hundreds of dollars on them. The seller is confident that they are vintage pieces. That's the trouble with solid metal figures: they are not difficult to replicate. Hollow cast are effectively impossible to reproduce. The bases of these figures might give some clue about their origin: it's the one part of the casting process that is leaves signs of the process behind. Any ideas, guys?

Nice figures. The paint on the items looks naturally abraded. Could it be that they're not commercially made and the product of someone's custom initiative?

More frequently I am seeing figures from South America & Mexico that are 'knock offs' of the originals. I have never seen Marx figures reproduced in lead except these/ And while they look 'weathered', I would stay away, I prefer the plastic originals myself. I even stay away from the plastic repros.

• 5 weeks later...

The seller has had more information which may solve the problem. He has been told that these are figures made by Plombel of Argentina. As such, they do fit in with a range of knock-off Marx copies in lead. The green helmets are those found on Plombel plastic spacemen. Sounds like a result. Auction link.

post-439-0-85406600-1354717042.jpg

• 6 years later...

Hello- I have 10-11 of these Plombel Marx figures in lead, and I really like them. I think they are much nicer than the original Marx figures. If you are ever interested in trading for them or selling, them, please let me know, the best, JOHN

• 2 weeks later...

All I can add is I want that space gal, and have been impressed by the range of Corbett/Rex Mars copies up for grabs by South American based vendors in whatever colors you could think of. These look along the same lines if somewhat nicer with those groovy helmets. Pointing guy has some wear to his nose paint from the helmet being removed/replaced repeatedly so they were almost surely someone's toys at some point.

Interesting how at least two of them have the bottoms of their feet sticking through the base undersides. Maybe the mold positives were Marx figures which did not have bases? which were then added somewhat sloppily, forgivable since kids aren't looking at the base undersides much. They're not of any Marx line I've come across and an enviable set! Glad I got to see em.