New Into Collecting Space Toys

JS1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice start to your collection! I like the robot bulldozers, its like getting two toys in one.

Many thanks for all your comments. I've seen a lot of robots today (many for the first time in real life) in a workshop in the Netherlands. So many great designs !

• 2 weeks later...

Poor Mr Robot ....

Here he his. Cragstan's Mr Robot was recently discovered on an attic during a house clearing. He was not completely alone, but in company of a few tin toys, mainly cars, but he was the only robot. I saw an ad on the Internet that he was for sale and made an appointment to see him. When I arrived, I felt sorry for him. Being abandoned, neglected for decennia, with no-one to play with. He had issued too. The battery compartment was in very bad shape and batteries did not make contact to see if he could work or not. Also, inside the dome (a bit cracked), the vertical 4 coil antenna's were missing. I first hesitated. Should I take him home, or not ? But the price was right (very cheap even), and he looked to nice, that we left together :)

When I was home, I did some very basic, primitive and quick fixes in the battery compartment; I made a new 'floor' in the compartment, soldered a wire and then fitted batteries inside. They did not made contact (too much space), but when I added some household tinfoil between the batteries and contact pins, an amazing thing happened. Poor Mr. Robot came to live and started to run and run and run after so many years. Yes, he still has a bit of issues, like the on/off switch does not work (he always is "on"), and the lights in his dome don't work, but I was so pleased to see him in action. He now can rest in good company, together with Robby, Door, and a few others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4LNNlwcV0&feature=youtu.be

See more : http://militaryinterest.byethost6.com/Toys/fotosspacetoys/spacetoys.htm

Are you kidding! "Poor Mr. Robot" looks like he's in great shape, and if the shipping wasn't so expensive I would fix him for free, anyway it's a great find.

Chief arrived .. I almost fainted when I saw how ....!!

Looking at Joe Morabito mainstreettoys for a number of weeks, I finally made up my mind and decided to adopt Chief. Joe described him as follows : "A classic among classics, the 12 inch tall robot is one of our favorites and does not come along often in this condition. The skirted robot travels with a lighted dome and mystery action, When it hits an object, it's head turns, his dome light flashes, both ear antennas spin, a unique mechanical noise is heard and then it begins to move on again. Circa the 1950's and in excellent condition with only light, scattered scratches. The battery box is super clean. A beautiful robot."

The robot was packed carefully for his long journey over the Atlantic Ocean. But upon arrival, the postman found no one home and simply decided to throw the box over the 2.4 meter high garden door. I almost fainted when I came home and saw the box lying in the garden. Because of the extremely good box, the "box inside the box", and the fact that Chief is a very strong robot man , he survived completely intact and operational. He soon ran around the living room enthusiastically discovering his new home! Now I need to talk to the postman !

See more : http://militaryinterest.byethost6.com/Toys/fotosspacetoys/spacetoys.htm

NEW%20FOTOS.jpg

Glad to hear he survived well on his trip! I've 'tried' on occasion to open packages from Joe. I've had the box in the box in the box situation more than a few times. You could likely throw his packages from anywhere and they won't crack. Kelly (*Altaira) received the outer box for her Mr. Atomic last year, huge box inside another huge box and packed like a tank.

Congrats on a real classic that'll bring a smile to your face. I don't have an original but came close at Botstock at the Chicago Toy Show about 10 years ago. Robotnut and I saw one with decades of age, dirt and dust on him, missing his top light and was quite expensive had wires sticking out and wasn't guaranteed to work so we both passed. Later that day another 'dromer showed up at our hotel room with the robot in hand. The buyer had the dealer remove the light from another one he had and polished him up like new and the buyer bargained him down due to the dirt and grime.You just never know.

One day I hope to add one too. And yes, I saw this one and it's a really good value from Joe. I was tempted! :diggin:

Hi Morbius

you are right that Chief brings a smile to your face. Its a great toy and I like the way he explorer the environment with his turning head. Here a small video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSmFzXbAl2o

Much nicer than the repros that just have a slight 'tick' to their heads, they don't look around like the original. Thanks for posting the video.

The brother of a co-worker of mine back in the late 70's had a minty one, I offered him $2,000 for it, he turned it down. He'd gotten it for Xmas in '63 and couldn't part with him. His mother said "Mr. Cragstan is part of the family, he's never leaving"... she'd bought him as a demo as there were no stock left.

You have a wonderful collection JS1! The Mechanized and Strenco are great!

Fantastic story of your Mr Robot rescue and amazing that Chief Robotman survived your postmans antics(thank goodness).

Please keep posting your videos, they are great to watch.

Cheers!

You're really building a nice collection of robots! Chief Robot Man is one of my favorites -- a classic design with a really fun action. Big, too, and really nice looking on a shelf.

I'm looking forward to seeing your collection grow. Your enthusiasm is infectious!

(By the way, I like how you used vintage paperbacks in your early photos. I collect those, too, and have a number of my favorites displayed alongside my robots.)

Thanks all for your comments.

On my webpage (at the end) you will see a few more paperbacks. I bought these at the end of the 1980'ties when they still were available in second hand book stores, but they are now difficult to find over here. I love the pulp art ! …. but most I found were not SF related :(

http://militaryinterest.byethost6.com/Toys/fotosspacetoys/spacetoys.htm

Cheers

PS. Dratomic : I love your blog !!!

• 1 month later...

Archived