Smoking Man Question

bartzenegger

i have been doing great restoreing my linemar smoking man. (2nd project ever)

but..... i cant get it to smoke. i put 3 small drops of oil in mouth with a needle.

looking inside from the back , next to the motor , and below the smoking cannister there is a mass of paper . is that to be soaked in oil ? it would need more than 3 drops! i have not touched the smoking area.

where should i go from here? can you see the wick or paper from looking into the mouth?

thanks

The paper you are looking it is probably the paper bellows that blows the smoke out of the hole in his mouth. This paper is below the heating element and wick so it should not contain any oil. If you added oil correctly (and it sounds like you have) then here are the reasons it might not work:

1. the heating element is burned out, or not positioned properly to heat the wick.

2. the wire from the battery to heating element is disconnected.

3. The paper bellows is torn and will not force air/ smoke through the tube leading to mouth.

4. The ?wool? wick is used up or gone.

Any of the above will stop your spaceman from smoking. A repair will require you to remove the back head/ body section. This will completely expose the smoking mechanism and make it easier to determine and repair the problem. Hope this helps.

Guest neatstuff

I have never looked inside an original linemar Smoker bot but I would assume the smoking unit would have the same basic design as the repros. The repros smoking unit are completely enclosed, If my memory serves me right you really can't see inside the unit where the oil and wick would be.

I would do a test by running jumper wires from battery power source directly to the smoking unit it's self to see if it will smoke. If you don't get any smoke from it this way then perhaps it has to much oil or the element is burned out. Or I suppose there still may not be enough oil. If everything else fails try another couple drops of oil.

If you need a replacement smoking unit you may be able to use one from a repro smoker bot. Anyone else have any ideas?

Happy collecting

Bill.

thanks guys! i have tested with a multimeter , and there appears to be power to the smoke mechanism . with the back off , i do not see any smoke at all so im thinking a tear in bellow isnt the problem . when putting a wick in can you just place it down the mouth or does smoking mechanism have to be taken apart?

i have a repo and i have been using it as a reference its a great!i got it from you neatstuff!

also... there is an off white plastic piece on the side of smoking cannister it looks like it can be removed. what is this?

Bartzenegger,

I circled the smoking mechanism in this picture. This is a Linemar Smoker that I repaired. If you look closely at the heating element on this one you can see that it is green plastic. Is this what you are refering to on yours as white plastic? On this smoker I was able to easily remove the element by tugging on it gently by the two wires. The wick is attached to this on the inside and can be examined. Once you expose it, if the wick looks OK try running the robot to see if the heating element actually heats up. If so, add a few drops of oil directly to the wick and see if that works.

post-2-1098145731.jpg

Bartzenegger,

I circled the smoking mechanism in this picture. This is a Linemar Smoker that I repaired. If you look closely at the heating element on this one you can see that it is green plastic. Is this what you are refering to on yours as white plastic? On this smoker I was able to easily remove the element by tugging on it gently by the two wires. The wick is attached to this on the inside and can be examined. Once you expose it, if the wick looks OK try running the robot to see if the heating element actually heats up. If so, add a few drops of oil directly to the wick and see if that works.

no i was talking about right below that ,in the cannister you have one on the side! are you saying you removed the green plastic piece and the wick is attached to that?

ok, i did that one wire was not attached to the little hair like wire-im sure thats the problem. i will just soder it together!

thanks so much your a hugh help.

The heating wire is a nichrome wire, you can solder to it you make a crimp type connection if I understand what is being asked here. The solder will not melt as the wire does not get hot at the ends only in the center of the heating wire where it contacts the cotton wick, solder can be used to hold the wire in place but the solder does not realy make a solder connection it just puiles around the wire like a glue would. You need to make a good mechanical connection with the wire.

The heating wire is a nichrome wire, you can solder to it you make a crimp type connection if I understand what is being asked here. The solder will not melt as the wire does not get hot at the ends only in the center of the heating wire where it contacts the cotton wick, solder can be used to hold the wire in place but the solder does not realy make a solder connection it just puiles around the wire like a glue would. You need to make a good mechanical connection with the wire.

thank you, should i rap the wick around the nichrome wire or just put it aganist it? im trying to use a wire from the insides of a light blub if it does not work can you get the nichome wire at a hardware store?

Bartzenegger,

ok!!! thanks again guys for everything . he works great .but......

my only problem i have is: when i put his shell back on it seems to touch the motor holder which knocks everything sightly off and he wont work well. this one is wierd! soon as i take off shell again he works fine.

any ideas?

thanks

bart

If you find you ever need a new heating wire for a smoker just get a old TOMY Magic Mike type robot for a buck or 2 and the smoker inside will give all the parts you need.

If you find you ever need a new heating wire for a smoker just get a old TOMY Magic Mike type robot for a buck or 2 and the smoker inside will give all the parts you need.

thank you , i will keep that in mind.

Archived