Cracker Jack Toy

David Kirk

In the spirit of things that have probably been covered here before but I've forgotten - new on eBay. I'd love to know the year. I wonder if it influenced similar designs or was influenced by them. Love the turtle head! Why do you suppose the arm on just one side?

post-17-0-26128900-1420587715_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-19367500-1420587727_thumb.jpg

Can't answer any of your questions David but I know I like it. It's got a certain dorkiness that works for me.

I have not found that robot on any of the cracker jack web sites yet. And it seems a bit complicated for a cracker Jack toy, I am thinking a cereal premium maybe.

Can't help with the above little guy, but I like it a lot.

Odd that he only has an arm on one side.

This was given to me years ago, and they insisted it was Cracker Jack, but I'm not convinced.

Oddly, the arms are completely loose & slide from one balled fist to the other.

post-44-0-91214200-1420657356_thumb.jpg

No John, that is Cracker Jack. I had something similar. Those toys used to be complicated back in the day. Not like today with stickers and tattoos. They were little plastic toys that came on a tree you had to snap together. Mine was a hotdog with a little guy that would pop in and out of the top of it when you rolled it. This looks like the same kind of thing...but the head probably bobs up and down. Cracker Jack had great stuff in the old days. NOw it's all garbage...not the thrill it used to be.

With all the cracker jack web sites and collectors out there you would think that a guy could find it on line so as to get a date. I think the most complicated thing I ever got out of cracker jacks as a kid of the 1950s & 1960s was whistle, only cereal box toys came as bagged plastic snap apart and assemble toys for me. But if Ken had some like it in a cracker jack then it probably is a cracker jack toy.

Yeah, I had all kinds of similar toys from Cracker Jack. They were tiny, and it was amazing what they could do so small, but they would have little wheels with pegs on them and you would put a piece on the peg and when you closed the halves and rolled it, the part attached to the peg would bob up and down. They would be on little trees like a model kit, yet very small...don't lose a part, which was easy because they were so small. But as complicated they were, kids could put them together. I had trains with the engineer heads that bobbed up and down, that wiener guy I mentioned earlier.

An aside..my wife started buying Cracker Jack at the local Sam's club. And all the prizes suck compared to what they used to get. You get all paper items and it's the same five prizes over and over again. So I fired off an email to them via their website and got a response. They claim that the new federal laws do not allow them to put foreign objects in with food stuffs any more. Paper is okay because the packaging is paper as well, so there is no contamination. But the old fashioned toys like they used to have are not allowed in Cracker Jack any more. So ends another era.

I have an orange one. It does roll forward with the head going up and down and tipping forward and backwards.

I always thought it was Cracker Jack. If it was a gum charm , it would be glued together and not a snap together toy.

I do seem to remember Cracker Jack toys very much like this one. As Ken said, some came on trees that you had to snap off and assemble.

With all the cracker jack web sites and collectors out there you would think that a guy could find it on line so as to get a date. I think the most complicated thing I ever got out of cracker jacks as a kid of the 1950s & 1960s was whistle, only cereal box toys came as bagged plastic snap apart and assemble toys for me. But if Ken had some like it in a cracker jack then it probably is a cracker jack toy.

You must have had a bad run of luck with your Cracker Jacks, John. I can remember that my brothers seemed always to get the better toys. At least that was my perception at the time. :biggrin:

Yes as a kid the only time we ever got cracker jacks was at Christmas, seems like I would get 3 or 4 boxes in my stocking. So my experiance with the toys was more limited than most I guess. I remember getting stuff like celoophane shaped fishes that would curl up from the warmth of your hand, that was supposed to mean some thing like your hot, they did not use words like Sexy in those days.

pezdudewelch on e-bay has been dealing with thousands of cereal premiums like this for decades, might be worth watching him for info on these. I know you can bid on a full box of cereal from the '40s if that's your thing.

Archived