Damage In Shipping Again!

Morbius

This is the 2nd time in a few months the SAME type of item arrived broken. Both times the piece was NOT packed separately as I would have preferred. When dealing with this second boxed toy I insisted the tray be packed separately but it wasn't. So, 2 MIMB toys later, both with broken trays, no reason for this to happen unless it's the customs folks digging about in the 50 year old box (it was opened and inspected) which I suppose is a possibility here or could be this tray is just too brittle to handle any kind of jolt. Also I'm never impressed when the toy is sent inside the box, they should be packed separately as I've had items from Toy Tent.

I feel bad for hese toys that survived decades intact only to have a small accessory break within a few days on the road. I couldn't find the thread from a few days ago where an Alphadromer had 3 items arrive broken at the same time I can certainly relate. I guess *Altaira was correct in that she's getting a scarce horse toy from a friend in the U.S. but they decided to wait until after the Christmas rush to send it on the chance it would be a safer ride.

post-298-0-75120900-1420210369_thumb.jpg

Seller surprized me this afternoon with a really decent partial refund on this item, something he really didn't have to do but makes it a little easier to take I suppose. :biggrin: I'm going to start to have the seller ship the box/accessories separately, maybe that will help.

That is so sad. I have had other Items opened by Customs and its then that they repack like real fast and sloppy and it continues its voyage. :dirtdog:

Yeh, I saw the way they tear through display stuff going to Botstock last summer when we hit the U.S.. All the careful packing thrown out the window by the time they're done with it.

In this case I realized later in the day that this tray has a very similar composition to an eggshell. Just about the same weight and thickness. If I cut out this shape from an eggshell, put the slit in the centre and tried to mail it anywhere I suppose it would be futile. Just be glad we don't collect Celluloid figures what a nightmare that would be. :breakit:

I had the same issue with a talking"Mrs. Beasley" doll (from the show "Family Affair") that I bought for Kelly as a surprise, when it arrived via USPS there was a hole in the shipping box big enough to put your fist in, luckily the one thing that could have fallen out, the eyeglasses didn't. Sorry about your misfortune Morbius

post-1784-0-56706000-1420254285_thumb.jp

That is way too bad for this to happen twice. Sorry Morbius and it sounds like my kind of luck. It does seem like it was customs; but was this an auction buy or from an online store- just curious.I strongly agree the item should be packed separately from the box even if the inserts are present. I am always tempted to contact the seller and ask they ship this way also in the case of robots that bubble wrap be placed between the legs as well as between the head and neck to prevent damage in handling but then I worry that the sellers from _ bay may get angry and it will arrive worse than if I never suggested anything at all. I firmly believe likewise as Kelly about shipping after the holidays to be safer. I have a package waiting to ship to my sister in Colorado but I am still giving a week or so as it is glass and waiting for things to slow down. I personally do not have the boxes that I ship marked as "fragile" usually as a buddy I have in a shipping Co. once told me when he sees 'fragile' marked on the box, He throws it around on purpose. I was NOT amused, but educated. Just passing it on. Shipping sucks and as they say Morbius, the third time is a charm, sorry again about TWO bad experiences with the same toy. Looks EXCELLENT even with the broken fragile piece. :cheers:

Thanks for the encouragement Ultra and Racer, it was an e-bay auction, both were. I mentioned to this recent seller that the last one we bought a few months ago from another seller arrived with a broken tray (this is why I decided to try again for *Altaira). I mentioned that I'd like the tray removed as it comes off easily and placed in separate packing. I think like you Ultra where if you start telling them how to pack they may take offence. This guy said he always packs well (all 100% positive in the thousands) and he's done his part now if only the U.S. postal service does their part as well and it was shipped immediately. That I can assume is already packed and ready to go when you win an auction which is a good thing for getting it out to you quickly but not so good if you have special packing instructions so I wasn't about to tell him to unwrap the whole thing and re-pack it. It could re-live that whole 'fragile' thing. :ohmy:

The seller refunded me a significant amount today as he felt bad about what had happened.

Best one was about 10 years ago a replacement horse stable set I bought on e-bay in my early days of buying there. I didn't think to look at the feedback as they had 97% average and that sounded OK until I dug afterward and found 3,000 negatives as they'd sold well over 100,000 items on e-bay. Had a problem with Paypal as early on they'd start you off with $500 available until you're confirmed with more personal info. After I'd bought this toy they started strongly demanding their money, Paypal wouldn't pay up as I'd gone over the so-called limit and I was stuck. Went straight to the bank that Saturday for a M.O., sent it and they still bugged. Cubic foot parcel shows up with a month later with $2.75 postage on it, I paid $26. shipping on this $9. item and it was one layer of brown Kraft paper over the store window box, oddly enough it was OK.

I know Robotnut has a few horror stories of his own, one involving a vintage Radar Robot MIMB. :lecture:

I guess we all have our tales here.

Augh...tough break...literally! Sorry to hear it Morbius, that is the bane of every collector.

Can you super glue the two halves together? I understand that even if it looks whole, knowing it's actually broken tends to gnaw away at you, but it's better than nothing.

Many years ago I built a Big rocket ship named the SR5 Searcher. Phil helped me make the decals. I just loved the thing. Well it wasn't anything valuable ,,,but I got an offer and sold it. This thing was made from solid ASH. They make baseball bats out of it. I packaged the hell out of it and shipped it to New Mexico. I got a phone call a few days later. The buyer said it arrived in three pieces and you could see the tire track on the box.......All that time and effort ,,,,,,,,,,gone...

post-545-0-96320400-1420669193_thumb.jpg

Actually Tinplate6, we received some great advice from the very talented Robotnut the night we arrived from Botstock but it took me until a few weeks ago to attempt the fix and it worked like a dream. In this case, some glossy photo paper shaped and slotted and white-glued onto the top of the original tray, trimmed off and it gives the shine of the original plastic and holds the original paper-thin pieces together under the photo paper. The parts seem much too thin to be 'glued' :biggrin: Thanks Darryl!

Many years ago I built a Big rocket ship named the SR5 Searcher. Phil helped me make the decals. I just loved the thing. Well it wasn't anything valuable ,,,but I got an offer and sold it. This thing was made from solid ASH. They make baseball bats out of it. I packaged the hell out of it and shipped it to New Mexico. I got a phone call a few days later. The buyer said it arrived in three pieces and you could see the tire track on the box.......All that time and effort ,,,,,,,,,,gone...

attachicon.gifIKE2079.jpg

Now THAT'S a sad story Mark. At least plastic kits can usually be salvaged but something like that spaceship of yours...that's just nasty. :crying-and-sobbing::blub: :angry:

Archived