Does Anyone Remember The $24000 Luchbox ?

Robotnut

At one of the earlier Botstocks at Joe's Robot Museum,

a dealer was displaying a $24000 lunch box. Does anyone

remember it, or have a picture ? I almost heard angels

when I saw this one at a local resale shop for $10.

Unfortunately it is not the $24000 lunchbox, but it is

from the 1950's and very cool... :hail:

post-6-0-11943600-1419987598_thumb.jpg

Yes Darryl I remember the guy with the lunchbox!! I was thinking about this recently. As I remember it, it was a robot themed lunchbox, from probably the late 1950's to mid 1960's, perhaps an obscure cartoon or a one of a kind cartoon style art work just made for that lunchbox, the robot may or may not have been the main character featured in the art. Like I say, that's how I remember it - memory can be a malleable commodity. I think the guy came to Botstock just to offer the lunchbox for sale and wouldn't allow any pictures to be taken of it. Kind of counterintuitive because posting a picture on the internet is a great way for a seller with a rare or one of a kind item to find that one buyer out there.

No matter how hard I try I can't picture that lunchbox today. It would be great if one of us sneaked a pic...........

Your lunchbox was a very cool find though! $10?!? Amazing!!

Great job Joe!

OK I miss remembered one thing already, the seller had more than just the lunchbox for sale. I had it in my mind that he only brought the lunch box.

And now that I see the artwork (well, sort of) I think it could be from the late sixties or even seventies.

Good thing I'm not being asked to be a witness at a trial, I'm not doing so well!

Now can anyone remember what it said on the lunchbox?

You might be on to something, David. A google image search yielded the following:

Scarf

post-16-0-49157500-1420008753_thumb.jpg

Tote

post-16-0-07478000-1420008779_thumb.jpg

Poster?

post-16-0-44846700-1420008808_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-80085300-1420008847_thumb.jpg

Couldn't find a tin lunchbox, but the artwork does seem to match.

There was a lot of it about NYC in the late seventies, early eighties among the arty soho crowd and even uptown sorts. It was expensive, at least it seemed that way to me, but it was upscale department store expensive, not 24k!

This has been an interesting experiment for me because very little of how I remembered it was accurate! Never trust a years old eye witness account!

Fineas, have you heard about that memory news, or theory - maybe it's considered fact now. When you remember something, you're not remembering the event when you first formed the memory, you're actually remembering the last time you remembered it, at which point the earlier memory is over-written. Next time you remember it it will be based on this new time, and so on, until the memory is well corrupted by your attitudes about the past and the repeated re-copying. It's a bit like that telephone game where you whisper a story to the kid next to you and they whisper it to the next kid until the story told at the end of the row is quite different from the original. This rather bums me out, as memories are precious! It's certainly a fine reason to photograph what's important to you and keep a journal too. If it weren't for my dad taking slides and my mom allowing everything to be saved, I'd never have had such a good record of my robot childhood. There are many things I wish I'd documented later on - through my teens and twenties, that are lost forever while my seven year old self lives on.

Thanks for the info, you guys are great !!! :hail:

Don, it's funny how you mention how memory has a way of tricking you.

All I remembered was that there was this space themed lunch box for

$24000. I was actually thinking it had Superman and the Robot on it,

boy I was wrong. So here I was at one of our local resale shops and

on a bottom shelf I see this lunchbox. Not being an expert on lunchboxes,

I instantly thought I had found the holy grail. Getting it home, I immediately

went to the internet, only to find out it is quite common. There's actually

one BIN on eBay for $60, with the Thermos... :blush:

David - You are right! I thought it would be interesting to see how accurate my memory of this incidental information would be. I knew that memory, particularly after years, can be unreliable - that's why I made the comment I did. What is really scary is when you have a murder trial based on a years old eye witness account and you have the police "suggesting" certain details to the witness. Scary stuff!

Darryl - I was thinking the Superman robot lunchbox as well. Interesting that I remembered it being a lunchbox from the late fifties or early sixties but it was in fact a later lunchbox that featured robots from the late fifties and early sixties. I guess sometimes we remember the better version. ;-)

Now I kinda want one of the vintage lunchboxes!

post-143-0-66840100-1420139897_thumb.jpg

David - You are right! I thought it would be interesting to see how accurate my memory of this incidental information would be. I knew that memory, particularly after years, can be unreliable - that's why I made the comment I did. What is really scary is when you have a murder trial based on a years old eye witness account and you have the police "suggesting" certain details to the witness. Scary stuff!

Darryl - I was thinking the Superman robot lunchbox as well. Interesting that I remembered it being a lunchbox from the late fifties or early sixties but it was in fact a later lunchbox that featured robots from the late fifties and early sixties. I guess sometimes we remember the better version. ;-)

Now I kinda want one of the vintage lunchboxes!

The Superman lunchbox you have pictured is from 1954.

Archived