The Odd And The Unusual

bookinbear

As a 17 year old robot collector, I often find it difficult to get some of the more expensive vintage robots into my collection. However, I also want my collection to be as interesting as possible and thanks to this I am always on the lookout for the weirdest robots I can find. You've probably seen a fair few of these before, but I would be interested to know if you on't recognise any of them...

Happy new year, all!

post-2026-0-04757800-1419979148_thumb.jp

Welcome to Alphadrome bookinbear!

I'm sorry I can't name any of your robots but I am interested to find out. I particularly like the tin robot that has a clasp. Is that a handle I see too? is it a storage box? A lunch box?

The big red robot in my original photo is made by Suck UK, who made the lunch-bot. It is one of two nut-cracker robots they make but unfortunately I don't own the blue variant... (though I'll probably have it soon!)

post-2026-0-84337400-1420046231_thumb.jp

The robots on the front left are from a Japanese TV show called Golden Warrior Gold Lightan, which aired in the early 80s. Each of the robots transforms into a lighter, as well as having some special gimmick - for instance Time Lightan has a head that doubles as an egg timer! To my knowledge they were never exported to America or England, but you can still buy them from Japan...

The robots on the front left are from a Japanese TV show called Golden Warrior Gold Lightan, which aired in the early 80s. Each of the robots transforms into a lighter, as well as having some special gimmick - for instance Time Lightan has a head that doubles as an egg timer! To my knowledge they were never exported to America or England, but you can still buy them from Japan...

I have that golden lighter 'bot squirreled away somewhere if memory serves.

As for the other robots pictured, the spaceman on the far left is a card toy that you assemble yourself, and the same goes for the little pink & black bobble heads at the front. The pink and green robots in the center are something like paper-mache that you paint yourself. The four robots on the right are some cheap transformer rip offs I found in a newsagent in Greece, and finally the wooden robot at the back was sold to me as a Mexican folk-art toy...

Archived