Tabs: Best Way To Open Tabbed Robot?

bartzenegger

hi,

im wondering how to open robot w/o breaking tabs off! are the old tin tabs pretty strong?

thanks

p.s . someday i will be a pro like you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have opened many robots and have yet to break a tab. But I think I have been extremely lucky. If you are working on a robot that has already been opened several times then there is a good chance that a tab could break. If that happens, and you are good at soldering, you can repair the tab. I have done this on a robot that was already missing a tab. You can cut and solder a replacement, but you have to install it in the bent or finished postion and it will never stand up to any kind of bending or reopening. I suppose you could cut a tab that has enough backing to solder to the INSIDE of the robot, overlapping the broken section, but I have not attempted this yet.

I think that most tabs can withstand being bent back and forth at least 3 times, maybe more. But each time that tab is bent either backwards or forwards the metal becomes weaker and weaker. If you can see an actual light line running through the tab at the bend point then that tab is ready to break.

Never use metal tools to open a tab. You can fabricate several useful tools using plastic or wood. I use things like filed down chopsticks, clothespins and plastic picnic knives to open tabs. But even with these you must be careful not to scratch the litho or paint.

Once I have the two sections apart, I use a very small pair of taped needlenose pliers to straighten the tab out completely, taking all the bend ripples out of it. This helps when you are reassembling the toy because the straight tabs line up much better while you are rejoining the two halves.

Also, while either bending or unbending tabs, take it slow. I think they are stressed less if you bend them slowly and will be less likely to break. Hope this helps. ;)

Also, while either bending or unbending tabs, take it slow. I think they are stressed less if you bend them slowly and will be less likely to break. Hope this helps. 

I have found that if you use a pencil with a rubber eraser on the top to bend the tabs back it almost eliminates any chance of scratching the surrounding body, and the pencil shaft is long enough to get a good grip.

:) MetalRobotHead, that is genius! I was dying trying to tab up freshly repainted robots without scratching them. Even my fingernails have marked them before. You are the man!, -Larry 7

I have been able to use cut up Soda Cans (aluminum) for repairs.

I make the tab the same size as the original and then make the other end

the size of a dime. I just superglue the dime end to the inside of the toy

This works good if there is plenty of flat space inside.

the metal is thin enough to bend and still hold up. It probably has fewer bends left

in it though.

The good part is you can use plain scissors to cut up the cans.

I have been able to use cut up Soda Cans (aluminum) for repairs.

I make the tab the same size as the original and then make the other end

the size of a dime. I just superglue the dime end to the inside of the toy

This works good if there is plenty of flat space inside.

the metal is thin enough to bend and still hold up. It probably has fewer bends left

in it though.

The good part is you can use plain scissors to cut up the cans.

great info! thanks

Whenever I have to bend tabs, I firstly make sure that the tab and surrounding area close to it, are warmed up (NOT heated to the max but a lightbulb does the trick, dont keep it too close though, take your time and watch out for plastic parts....). This really eases up the bending process and helps reducing the risk of the tab breaking off as the tin will "soften" a little bit. As tools I prefer to use an all-plastic set of "FIMO" clay modelling tools. They come in complete sets, are very cheap, nicely soft but sturdy enough to do the job and their different shapes will probably offer the correct one regardless the location of the tab. Have never made a scratch on a toy with one of them.

Hope this helps ;)

Whenever I have to bend tabs, I firstly make sure that the tab and surrounding area close to it, are warmed up (NOT heated to the max but a lightbulb does the trick, dont keep it too close though, take your time and watch out for plastic parts....). This really eases up the bending process and helps reducing the risk of the tab breaking off as the tin will "soften" a little bit. As tools I prefer to use an all-plastic set of "FIMO" clay modelling tools. They come in complete sets, are very cheap, nicely soft but sturdy enough to do the job and their different shapes will probably offer the correct one regardless the location of the tab. Have never made a scratch on a toy with one of them.

Hope this helps ;)

yes , this helps greatly!

thank you,

• Brian.. changed the title to Tabs: Best Way To Open Tabbed Robot?

Archived