Starter Bots

Googie

Hi Again:

I am going to start my son with his robot collection this Christmas. He is an avid collector of VBOTs (vintage battery operated toys) and these will be his first robots. I got him SH Engine Robot (mint/box) 1984, SH Super Space Commander (78?), SH Video Robot (blue, 1978), and Horikawa Star Stryder (1982).

I am use to getting toys from the 50s and 60s and at best early 70s, but it seems that robots extend into the 80s and even the present with Metal House.

Would what I got him be considered good starter bots ? It looks like robots of the 50s and 60s are the prime bots.

Still trying to get a feeling of what is good and bad in robot collecting. I stuck with Horikawa/Japanese, because they seem to be the most well known. (I am, and so is my son a HUGE fan of ALPs toys, but the Alps robots were very expensive.

Thanks for any input you may have for collecting.

Best

Chris

The Horikawa range is very large and therefore most are still relatively affordable. I was buying them new up until about 1985 with the last ones which was kind of the end of them being actual toys... I added being the Cosmic Fighter (head splits to reveal astronaut) and Mechanic Robot (gears in a circle in his chest) however these are now pricey at about $500 each.

A nice starter piece if you are inclined toward a wind up is the tin metallic green Noguchi which holds much charm and is easy to find at a very reasonable cost.

Buy what you love and you won't regret it. Narrow down what actions are important to you in your robots, continue to peek at all the e-bay stuff available, check the links section for stuff for sale from very safe and wonderful dealers of old toys. Also check the 'sold' section of e-bay under the different names of robots you're interested in to get an idea of the price point that they generally sell for, the general price collectors are willing to pay for that item. Great deals can be had from sellers who deal in regular antiques, dishes and such they may not know the toy field and put something up on a buy-it-now at a great price.

You're already off to a great start with the ones you mention above, congratulations on that!!!

Best of luck with yours and your son's collections. Be sure and post some pics when you can.

I think the Horikawa Rotate-o-Matic Super Astronauts are good tin starter robots if you don't mint the astronaut's face...relatively common and not too pricey.

Unlike vintage battery ops, there are no "bad" robots from the 1950s and 60s. If the robot says "Made in Japan," it is collectable and most likely valuable. Just make sure you know the market value before pulling the trigger on a particular robot. The Alps TV Spaceman and Cragstan Mr Robot are classic collection starters. They are substantial in size, vintage looking with nice action, and relatively affordable.

It depends on how you define "starter robot." I'm not really sure what that means. If you're looking to ease into the hobby without spending a fortune, you do have a number of options.

I'm not really a huge fan of Horikawas -- just personal preference -- so for me, the best starter robots are the Yoshiya Atom Robot, the Nomura Ratchet Robot (the wind-up Zoomer), and the Yoshiya Easel-Back robot (the common variation). Granted, none are battery operated so might not be what you're looking for, but they're all classic examples of toy robots.

As Sonny Young suggested, the Alps Television Spaceman is many people's first robot, and loose it's not too expensive. It's a great toy with lots of functionality -- a walking motion, lights, spinning eyes, and a light up TV in the chest. As he also mentioned, Cragstan Mr. Robot is one that many people start with, though sometimes it gets a little pricey in good condition. I'd also add the R-35 if you can find a complete one with a nice remote control unit. It's got beautiful lithography, plus the walking mechanism and light up eyes.

All three of those battery operated robots can be had for less than $500, and if you're patient, you can find them for less than $400... though that'll take some time and care. It CAN be done, though.

The wind up toys I mentioned often sell for less than $400, sometimes much less. Again, patience is key.

There's nothing wrong with Horikawas, many people love them and they're highly collectible. They're certainly an option if you're getting into the hobby and not looking to spend too much.

Hi Chris.

I love the Horikawas but I have 4 Television Spaceman Robots from Alps, my favorite Robot.

The Cosmic Fighter from Horikawa that said Morbius it's a very good election, good, nice and cheap. I have 3. :biggrin:

Best,

JC

Has to be Alps Television Robot & Horikawa Attacking Martian (brown version). Great iconic early 60s look and affordable at $300 or less.

But with a keen eye, lots of time and a bit of luck, there are more high-end robots out there that can be picked up at affordable prices too!

Good luck

Yes, Dratomic, R-35. I forgot all about that one. Very affordable tin with great primitive look. Atom robot has been a steal on eBay lately. I remember when it fetched over $500. It's a great skirted robot and as close to Hook as you can get without spending $2000. This is bringing back memories. We tend to take the rank and file robots for granted in light of the exotic stuff, but they are great pieces and the backbone of most collections.

Archived