Not A Space Toy But Familiar Looking Box

Fineas J. Whoopie

OK this is a little off topic because it's not a space toy but possibly on topic because the box has a familiar look to it. The box looks a lot like the fake robot boxes coming out of the Netherlands. Frobozz's recent topic has some examples of these boxes. The suspect qualities are the almost too primitive art work, the washed over feel to the box and the oval logo. I did do a search for the toy car and came up with another loose example that sold some time ago in near mint condition. I suspect that the toy is not Japanese because there is no marks at all on the toy, and I suspect that the toy is probably from the 1970's at the earliest because I don't think Jimi Hendrix was enough of a cultural phenomenon while he was alive to warrant a toy company releasing a toy based on him. Just my opinion. Any other thoughts?

post-143-0-60586500-1418662283_thumb.jpg

Thanks Orbit! There you go - a recently produced toy. I did find a record of another example of this car selling loose as a vintage piece for a vintage price. So the ebay auction is definitely a faked box. Brian - you mentioned in another thread that these boxes are even fooling reputable dealers. Apparently this ebay auction is another case of this happening. After reading all of the description the listing talks about how the box may be an original box for a toy car but the artwork was probably applied to the box recently and that the Masudaya logo is incorrect. The description leads you to believe the toy is a 1960's piece from Japan though. I'll send a note to the seller.

The ironic part of this is I would have probably believed this toy to be vintage if it weren't for the obviously faked box!

OK back to space toys!

Archived