Our Collecting Strategies

Ultrarobotman

As Christmas is upon us it brings to the front of my little mind the subject of all of our collections. More specifically the planning out or future plans for adding to each of our private collections.Cutting to the chase, I guess what I really am wondering is if you ever reach the end of a collection. And I mean practically. I, myself will always find room even if on a shelf in my attic for super astronauts. But I mean, I've been running out of space for my displayed robots and I suppose I could always find a little more room somewhere for more but my point is-the robots that I am interested in are winding down.That is to say at least the ones within my financial realm.I will always dream of having a space commander or something on that level but probably never will. When I began my collecting I went gung-ho with no thought as to a PLAN for my collection. The very first time truthfully I gave any thought of a plan was at Botstock 10 when member Steve(Steven) asked me about my plans for collecting and it hit me unexpectedly. So, have any of you actually reached an end to collecting, or given the addiction part and all, is there never an end to this ever enjoyable madness we all love? Anyway I look at it , it all seems bitter-sweet. :scratchhead:more sweet than bitter. My personal plan seems to be to add one or two more desirable and harder to obtain robots per year around Christmas,

post-1682-0-22407500-1418092444_thumb.pn

You've stated it well Ultrarobotman.

I started off just like you but in the mid '70s. Many of the then 'unobtainables' of that time period have appeared many times on e-bay and other places over the past few years given the info on the internet. I've acquired a few scarcities over the past couple of years that I never thought I'd ever have but sometimes they just happen to appear at the right time. For other 'bots it was networking with someone whose desire to give up said pieces at the same time I was looking for the them. Many of the collectors that wanted certain scarce pieces already have them. At that point the robots can languish a little until more dedicated new collectors feel the need to obtain them and there isn't the frenzy from the top end collectors to keep them climbing as when they themselves were bidding against each other so you have a chance sometimes to add them at a somewhat 'reasonable' price as compared to years ago. Thunder Robots and Mr. Atomic robots were being sold at $18K or more a few decades ago now I've seen a few go for far less.

Of course there are the true top end pieces especially factory fresh old store stock of scarce pieces which are traded amongst the top end collectors behind the scenes which will likely never reach my shelf or yours.

I've been on the lookout over the past 2 years or so for my '70s pieces, mainly plastics that I had perused at Joe's that I gave away many years ago making way for the tin and felt I wanted them back. I'm down to the last few pieces at this point and so I'm more inclined to think about a proper display for all the stuff... BUT if something else interesting finds its way that's fine too.

Great thread! I'd thought you'd found that neat SPACE COMMANDER you posted a pic of. Probably land that for about $3-4K but who knows, some of the best 'bots I've seen on e-bay were sold before I'd seen them from sellers of old dishes and knic-knacks that didn't have a clue of what a toy is worth. ie: The scarce cardboard boxed MIB Zobor I saw last year for $125. B.I.N. or best offer. It'd just appeared on-screen on e-bay. By the time I clicked on the pics and saved them to enlarge and realized what I was looking at, I went back to the ad and it was suddenly sold. They were an old general antique shop with lots of dishes for bid.

Thank you for the excellent and personal response Morbius. First, I really wish that space commander shown WAS my own instead of from the database, perhaps one day as you said when the time and conditions are right.Those are the very chances I am now waiting for, I wonder how many serious and dedicated collectors there are watching a particular piece and if they are a serious collector they probably have one already. But almost always the price skyrockets near the end or all along the auction which is another topic all by itself as I suspect Ebay sellers have "plants" on mobile devices or whatever , purposefully driving prices up with false bids that never really have to be paid by their buddies :scratchhead: In any event I will always be watching and waiting for the rare find of a lifetime. If anyone really deserves a once in a lifetime , stumbled- upon mint robot with original box, it is every one of us here! :hail:

You're very welcome Ultarrobotman. Us collectors are the only ones that understand this stuff.

An item I was watching in good condition and a poor box sold a few weeks ago to someone who was a 'private bidder' for hundreds of dollars. This item usually goes for $40-$50 MIMB as one did a couple weeks before this high auction. I know bidders don't want to drive the price up too early but I'm finding the same thing you are, that they shoot up in an extreme way the last 40 seconds or so. :breakit:

Great topic - I'll just say a few words for now - I really feel that this hobby is akin to a crack addiction. I do not think there is ever a real end to our desires - our wallets are another story!! I recall meeting a very famous collector in Europe who sold his vast collection many years back (which he regrets). On the way out of a toy show he buys a small little reproduction robot telling me in a almost guilty voice that he just has to have a robot in his hands. Having said that I try my best not to make impulse buys and save for those pieces that most move me.

Well said Steve, I've found that to be very true about holding out for the ones that REALLY matter, it has worked quite well for me. Tough to fight your way around the addiction of it all for sure. :diablo: And yes Brian I agree, the market ultimately decides the outcome.

The market always wins. Hold tight and we'll see the true price.

Have to admit Brian I usually do that last 30 second sprint on the ones listed although I'll usually use B.I.N. for the few items I don't add from collectors I know.

Archived