My Robot Gizmo.

Megastellar

Hail Alphadrome,

I'm a new member.I here been looking at your sight for a while and seeing all the great robots.I finally took the time to sign up and post mine.His name is Gizmo.He is four years old last October.He has six motors.There are two Powerwheels motors

and gearboxes in his base.There are two windshield motors in the upper body that raise and lower his arms.The shoulders are ice cream/paint mix buckets and contain the motors and gearboxes that open and close the claws.Gizmo is controlled by a switch box and 20 foot cord.His main battery is in his belly.

post-2017-0-88998200-1416843618_thumb.jp

Megastellar...that is one cool robot! He has lots of personality! Yeah, I'd like to see him in action myself...welcome, and thanks for the post.

Welcome, and it looks like it's unanimous,we all want to see this giant in action. With those two powerwheels motors it must be loud and powerful!

Thanks for the positive feedback! Here are more contruction details.The rabbit ears on top of Gizmo's don't do anything but look cool.His head is a small plastic trash can with a lid from another container .The eyes are car tag lights with super bright l.e.d.s inside.His neck is p.v.c. pipe.Gizmo's body and legs are plastic Sterilite kitchen trashcans.His black base is wood.I made the hole in the Powerwheel's gearboxes bigger to allow an half inch diameter axle.I used lawn mower wheels for his drive wheels with old car timing belt strips screwed on for traction.There is are two castors wheel in the middle of the front and back of his base. He is controlled with a switch box that has six double pole/double throw switches attached to Gizmo by a 20 foot cord.Real high tech ,huh.I must say a man in a machine shop In wheelesburg,Ohio welded the coupler nut for the arm motors for me.The light box on his is a plastic pencil box with three running lights attached.I replaced the 12 volt bulbs with a flashing l.e.d. circuit.It came from a cardboard Kebbler elf school bus display.Here are some pictures of my old robots F.O.R.D. and Candroid.

post-2017-0-69853100-1417276938_thumb.jp

Yes, I dood it before and I dood it again. The robot pic on the right is of me and F.O.R.D, Faulty Operational Rolling Debris, circa 1997.He was my first big beastie.

The little white robot on the left was Candroid, my second robot . Candroid was built on Ford's base. I had converted him to radio control instead of umbilical cord control. That's what I want to do to Gizmo some time in the future. I found an easier way using two 5 amp micro-switches with a servo motor touching one switch for one polarity and the other switch for another. I can't take credit for it though. A guy building an R2-D2 had the diagram on his web site.

Gizmo was painted with Krylon aluminium spray paint and flat black spray paint. His claws are the kid's toys with the yellow pull grippers cut off and bolted to a wooden inner arm. The outside is dryer vent tubing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

All call to the Alphadrome members,

Does anyone know how to make what's called a ring switch or slip ring? It allows power to be sent to something going around like merry go round. The reason I am asking is to upgrade Gizmo.I currently have wires coming out of his body to his shoulders to power the claw motors. There is enough slack in the wires in case his arms go around a few times. I want to get rid of the wires and use slip rings instead. Do they work the same way the old slot cars did on the tracks? I have read about some with spring loaded contacts. Any ideas would be great? Thanks.

Thanks for the help guys. To Racer X(tell Speed you're his brother already).I use a pay as you go trac phone and I try to same my time for talking to My Mom who is in a local nursing home or other stuff I really need.I must admit I do waste some time.Please don't think I snooty for turning down your offer. There are three bolts holding in the arm motor that the slip ring would have to fit inside or around.I don't know if you can see that much detail in the pictures.Gizmo's shoulders are plastic ice cream like buckets.I might have to change them out to something stronger to make the upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I found an Airhogs missle laucher at a local thrift store cheap.What I was thinking about doing with it is cutting off all the missle launching stuff and use the rest as a neck for Gizmo.If it works the way I hope he will be able shake his head up and down and back a forth.I am going to coving it up with dryer tubing.Anyone have any advice or has anyone hacked one of those things? Thanks.

Archived