Rust Never Sleeps! New Andybot Themes.

Andyman

Those who have seen my recent boxes that I make for my Andybots know how much work I put into them to make them look like corroded metal. I have been thinking for some time now about applying that same technique to actual Andybots. Since I am a fan of American Pickers, I wanted these to look like robot barn finds. Obsolete robots that were long ago put away and forgotten only to be discovered by future pickers looking for rusty gold. Each of these robots are about 8 inches tall and are wood based.

"Bib" was my first test subject.

Bib_5_sm.jpgBib_head.jpg

"Rusty" took it a little further with more detail work.

Rusty_5_sm.jpgRusty_side.jpg

"Blue Scout" gives a little nod to vintage TV style robots.

Blue_Scout_8_sm.jpgBlue_Scout_gear.jpg

Well what do you think? Did I pull it off?

Nice job Andy! Rusty seems to have a far away look in his eyes....maybe he is reflecting on his younger pre rust days.

Frank and Mike would be proud.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great job on the robots, Andy. As to your patina work do you create your own effect?. I've used America Accents patina paints outside to refinish metal items for that weathered. copper effect.

Thanks, everybody.

Phil, the effect is all my own. I use various acrylic craft paints in a layering process of basically 3 shades for the "rust" effect. What's weird is that even though I'm the one painting them, I completely fall for the illusion of rust when I'm done. Oh the fun of recessive colors, eh?

Here's one I made for one of my daughters for Christmas. His name is "Pavel". As you can see my "rust" process has evolved quite a bit from the first one I did.

Pavel_8_sm.jpg

Pavel_back.jpg

Pavel_chest.jpg

• 1 month later...

As part of the fun of making the Rustbots, I like to make up cheeky stories as to where they were found and what kind of shape they're in. Kinda like a used car ad. Lately I've been taking it a step further and Photoshopping them into their found elements.

Hercules_find_sm.jpgPavel_find_sm.jpg
BE_find_sm.jpgMybt_find_sm.jpg

RR_find_sm.jpgBlue22_find_SM.jpg

They sure look at home Andy! The middle two shots look like the Rustbots just meld right in with their surroundings.

In the close up shots of Pavel, the effect of the "rust" paint sure looks authentic:)

Cheers,

Brent

Archived