Shrink-Wrapping Of Vintage Box

Morbius

*Altaira has just received a vintage toy in boxed/new condition, the seller has shrink-wrapped the vintage box quite nicely top/bottom as a unit for shipping and doesn't seem overly tight. The toy and box were packed separately as we all wish they be sent.

Is this harmful to the box or is it alright to leave it as is? Never had one like this before.

There are archival grades of shrink wrap (polyolefin) that museums use. They also use archival bags. If it's archival it should be ok, especially in a loose form. You can check out archival materials easily.

My only concern would be the humidity level that the box was in prior to being sealed in plastic,other than that I would only keep it out of sunlight as any other box.Cool box!

Thank you for the thought Ultrarobotman, much appreciated. I believe she's leaning toward unwrapping it, I guess *Altaira and I are not fans of 'encapsulated' collectables.

I always worry that the shrink wrap will keep shrinking over the years and crush the box or deform it in some way. I mean it is shrink wrap, so any heat source should make it shrink more.

Thankyou for your thoughts on this John and everyone else who weighed in on this. I've been a plastic model kit builder all my life and between model kits and record albums there have been cases of some crushing the box and others where it didn't happen so better to be safe and remove it. Not a fan of encapsulating toys or their boxes.

Archived