$500.00 Robby Mib

Racerxc70

I sent a message too. The reply I got was simply "I paid $400 for this robot ten years ago". I replied "I'm sorry to hear that".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLANET-ROBOT-BLACK-TIN-TOY-LIMITED-EDTION-/111502148200?pt=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item19f60bc268

He's now advertising the newest Planet robot at a highly inflated price, hate to tell him anyone could buy 5 of 'em from Robot Island for what he wants for 1. :down: But hey, it's buyer beware, know your robots! At least the seller's not saying it's vintage. Not a frequent e-bay seller.

I explained in my message to the seller that the last robot they had up could be bought MIB for about $20 all day long. I think it's highly likely that they have done a few searches of completed items for this bot. But like you say Mike, at least they're not advertising this robot as being from 1950!

I did not go into the fact that 1950 was a year that was well before the wave of 1950's toy robots started around 1954-55. The only toy robot you would have found on the shelves in 1950 would have been - maybe - an Atomic Robot Man. I figured this was probably too much info for the situation. The real point was the robot was a repro.

It's like in 1986 when Laurie and I were house-hunting. Average price at the time for a typical 1 storey home in Toronto was around $100,000. The realtor had a listing of one of those 'typical' nothing special houses priced at $250,000. I told him it seemed like a crazy asking price for that home and he replied " They can price it at whatever they want, someone may want it badly enough and pay that price... and everyone will be happy". :scratchhead:

Archived