Time Capsule Car Emerges From 40 Year Slumber

Rocket

Here is an off topic item you may all appreciate; I just unearthed a 1955 Chevy Nomad station wagon that has been covered and stored for the last 40 years! Chevy only produced 8300 of these out of almost 3/4 of a million Belairs in 1955 and almost all have been repainted, restored, hot-rodded, resto-modded or basically f-ed with over the last 60 years, but this example (we call her Maddie) has all her original regal turquoise and India ivory paint, her complete, original interior and original 265 V8 & drive train. The car has 87,000 original documented miles and came from the son of the first owner who bought it for his wife as a grocery-getter but when it got too old, he put it away and covered it.

The original owner was a collector who had vintage bicycles, guns, cameras and yes even the odd ray gun or robot! He couldn't bring himself to sell the car after driving it for 20 years so he simply kept it.. and protected it. It's quite possibly the only surviving example of an original paint first year Nomad in existence.

With no less than 4 vintage cars, a couple of vintage motor scooters, 13 balloon tire bicycles, and countless ray guns, robots and space toys lord knows I did not need another vintage car, but this one was SO untouched and sensational I just had to buy it. I have lusted after the rare Nomad since about 9 years old when I saw my first one parked daily at the top of my street... so sort of a life long dream to own just such a car. The clock still ticks and keeps time, and the scent in that car simply cannot be duplicated. Sitting in it literally takes one back to 1955 when kids were playing with and dreaming about space ships and adults were driving them.

Please enjoy.

ROCKET -[O_O]-

post-177-0-10079500-1414568696_thumb.jpg

Wow Rocket....absolutely love it..... ;o) I was born in 1954.....any chance for a pic of the dashboard ?

Congratulations.....I would be in 7th heaven.....cheers Mark/nasa

Here's the dashboard for you Nasa. Notice the tiny Chevy "bowtie" emblems cut into the dash plate. Also a photo of the Corvette Nomad concept with it's stable mates, the Corvette Coupe, the Covair fastback, and the Corvette itself, the only one besides the wagon to actually go into production.

For those of you who don't know, the Belair Nomad was designed in 1954 as a Corvette "dream car" for the New York Autorama show at the Waldorf Astoria, it was actually the Corvette Nomad, a sport wagon with advanced features and a Corvette body; the photo shows all the iterations with the wagon that became the Belair Nomad in the middle. It was the first wagon whose rear window was intended to go down into the tail gate via electric motor. That feature did not make it onto production cars until much later, but the Belair Nomad still has many of the design features of the Corvette dream car wagon like the swept forward rear deck with vertical chrome stripes on the tail gate, the ribbed roof, sliding rear windows, single "S" pillar, and cut out wheel wells like the Corvette. So, this car has many layers of coolness; it was the first year Chevy put a small block V8 in it's passenger cars (all previous motors were 6 cylinders after about 1918), it is an unusual 2 door station wagon, and the first year for the debut of the Nomad name and sport wagon concept; it's also a one year design, looking that way in 55 only -grill and tail were altered for 56, and changed completely in 57, although all three are considered the classic Nomads.

Thanks for sharing my excitement!

ROCKET -[O_O]-

post-177-0-72244400-1414781111_thumb.jpg

post-177-0-70502100-1414781121_thumb.jpg

Thanks Justin....abosolutely love the aqua blue color and the dash is killer......;o)

One my favorite features is the chrome vertical bars on the back of car and those retro 50's tailights are to die for.....you are a lucky man....enjoy.....Mark/nasa

post-38-0-24362800-1414891526_thumb.jpg

Congratulations Justin! A beautiful car. I bought a 55 chevy wagon when I graduated from high school. Not a Nomad but it was the same color as yours. Unfortunately I totaled it driving it to college on my first day. I would have loved to had a nomad, it was the coolest wagon ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived