Surprise On Tv!

The Toyman

There I was watching a real classic movie "Duel" , Steven Spielberg's first outing as a director. I suddenly had to rewind, freeze frame, and take a pic of this short scene where his wife is talking to him on the phone whilst keeping an eye on the children...as you can see, they have the coolest toy to play with!

post-648-0-80017400-1414493849_thumb.jpg

When I saw Duel on TV again in reruns in the mid-'70s (the movie was 1971) that 'bot caught my eye. It was at the time I was starting to collect them again and it really set me off to find more of them.

Thanks for posting this, I'd not thought about the film for some time. I'll have to add the blu-ray soon.

If I remember correctly, wasn't this scene from the extended version of the film or was it in the original showing? Originally it was like 90 minutes for TV then when it went to Beta and VHS the extended version was released. I remember the school bus scene was inserted in that stretched version that wasn't originally shown when new.

Noel - I love it when a robot or space toy pops up in a film (don't we all!) There is a thread floating around somewhere that has a list we started to keep track of various space toy appearances in films. Toy ray guns were used frequently in cheesy sci-fi from the fifties. Have you seen The Nanny with Bette Davis from 1965? The kid in that one plays with a Horikawa. I don't remember which one, might have been a Fighting Robot or a Rotate-O-Matic or an Attacking Martian.

Archived