Probably The Most Rare Spacetoy?

tjohejsan

My guess is the reserve is unrealistically high and it will end reserve not met. If that were to happen the seller could make a deal with one of the interested buyers he is now in contact with off of ebay and save $1,000 plus on fees. It's possible we will never know how much this toy realizes. Just my guess and in no way is an accusation. I could be wrong. I don't know the seller nor do I have any real insight into how they are approaching this auction.

I think this saucer is currently considered the most desirable space toy partly because of it's rarity but I'm not so sure it is in fact the most rare space toy. There are several examples of this toy known. I think the toys pictured below are possibly more rare (I know of only two examples to exist of a few of them), but the Aoshin Saucer is likely to realize more money than any of these toys. It's a very popular toy.

The Flying 7 Saucer is a toy that I knew of only one example of for many years until this second example popped up for auction this last Feb. Unfortunately by then I wasn't in in the position to be competitive for it. The Space Pilots saucer is so rare I have never even seen a picture of one complete with it's dome! I can't even name one collector who I know who owns the Technofix space ship - I've only seen a few pictures.

Which space toy is the most rare is a very good question. Any other suggestions?

post-143-0-37880300-1414438864_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-97032100-1414439115_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-56297900-1414439139_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-70963300-1414439161_thumb.jpg

I love that Atom car. It's funny the designer put the letters on so that you'd read it from inside the car, rather than when it's coming at you. I've got a couple of others made on that model, but I'd never seen this one. What does it go for? The Technofix is pretty wonderful too.

My guess on the little gun boat saucer is $16,675. I didn't see a reserve listed. Does it have one listed?

And on the subject of rare space toys, what about the animals? The red and silver dogs are relatively common, the red elephant rather less so, but what about the relative rarity of blue dog, orange dog, and gray elephant?

This boxed example was featured in one of the Smith House auctions of Alan Rosen's collection, although it was the one piece from that catalog that wasn't Alan's (I'm not with my catalogs right now so I don't remember the number of the auction). If I remember correctly it went for about $45,000 after buyers premium. We Have not seen a boxed example offered for sale publicly since.

post-143-0-07765700-1414455424_thumb.jpg

Wasn't there a story about a guy who found half a dozen of these at a little store someplace? He may have been on the west coast, maybe Washington? This was a while ago - twenty or thirty years. I just saw it work on youtube. Not much to the action. I was hoping at least for rotating guns and some noise!

That was Chasdoss. A member we have not heard from in a very long time. If you do an Alphadrome search for "top Ten Space toys" (not the "revisited" thread) you can find his story on page two or three. Can someone post a link here on this thread? I am no longer able to post links on Alphadrome! Grrrrrr!

What a fabulous example, even minus the rockets ( and it's not even worth mentioning the box as we all know that it's almost the stuff of legend ) I'm also excited about the Space Pilots as I still have an example waiting to be (lightly) restored, Marco promised a dome, which is all it needs....it then may be for sale!

Noel

post-648-0-71916800-1414493489_thumb.jpg

The "space pilots" looks really nice with the guys and the great looking gun. I have never seen that saucer before.

I never realized that the "flying saucer 7" was a so rare space toy. I think it looks just like the "flying saucer 8" in shape and size. But the suacer 8 isnt very rare or?

post-1968-0-03924800-1414510655_thumb.jp

You are right tjohejsan, The Flying Saucer 7 is from the same pressing as the Flying Saucer 8 and also the Astro 8.

The Flying Saucer 8 is a fairly common toy (but still a classic saucer, I think no saucer collection is complete without one), although the box is less easy to find. The Astro 8 is less common (again, it's much harder to find the box) and the Flying Saucer 7 is very rare. I didn't even know what the box looked like for the Flying Saucer 7 until last February.

post-143-0-98940300-1414513068_thumb.jpg

Great info j whoopie.

The seller of the Aoshin saucer just tolded me that a friend of him that works with cleaning out old homes found it in the attic in a house in New Jersey. Lucky man!

He dont wont to say what the reserve price is.

Archived