Funny Thing Discovered When Opened A Toy?

tjohejsan

I just took apart a cragstan satellite to change a whell.

Then i found out that the battery compartment was made of an old tin coffe jar made in USA.

Before i have seen metal used from other toys. I wounder if they used any tin they came over.

The last guy who took the last coffe from the jar in the masudaya factory didnt throw it away, he made a space toy with it hehe.

Sorry for my bad english.

This is the same jar that i found in the toy:

post-1968-0-46909600-1413640551_thumb.jp

post-1968-0-50972400-1413640606_thumb.jp

Nice idea, to imagine the factory guys drinking their coffee and then using the remaining tins!

Do you also have a photo of the opened toy, so we can see what it looks like?

Somebody might collect variants of the prints inside.

The only re-used tin I have found inside of a toy is from another Japanese toy. The fact that a Cragstan Satellite used tin from an old American coffee can is surprising to me. I have heard of this practice of using discarded tin to make toys but I thought it was on earlier toys with a smaller production run. Very interesting. Thanks for posting! Can we see a picture of the Satellite so we know exactly which toy was involved?

I run into American printed cans quite often in old toys. It's always inside and always on small pieces you'd never see - backsides of switches, little braces that hold other little bits. They're always fun to discover.

I never took any picture of the inside, but i should have and I dont want to open up the toy again.

But i could read the hole text "mannings coffee" and on the short side of the battery compartment there was the small text in the yellow frame.

Like you say "fineas J" I have also just seen tin from other japanese toys before. And i also belived that using old tin was something thay did much earlier not in th 60s.

Its always interesting to open up old toys. And what always fascinates me is how all the mechanical parts are working. Often very simple things but with spectacual actions to see.

post-1968-0-77485300-1413745334_thumb.jp

That's a great example. I've never seen any on the outside, unless maybe you count the flower robots.

This is the only example visible from the outside I've ever seen (seen lots on the inside) so I assume someone loaded the material upside down at the start of the punch/bend process & they decided to just go with it. I bought a couple of cases of these years ago, and one case had virgin tin foot plates & the other was as pictured above. Still have some of these in the warehouse, I think.

Couple of years ago, Martijn helped me with bringing back to life a Cragstan Satellite saucer.

We were very surprised when opening it and when we saw the batterycover!!

Check the pics...

post-859-0-92085700-1413891316_thumb.jpg

post-859-0-20625300-1413891325_thumb.jpg

post-859-0-66628200-1413891332_thumb.jpg

post-859-0-12745600-1413891341_thumb.jpg

Great photos there.

Second cragstan satellite with coffee battary compartment, heavy coffee drinking people at cragstan factory.

Archived