Poorly Robby, The Osaka Tin Age Electronic Version

MetalRobotHead

Just taken my Osaka Robby out of storage to give it some exercise and to my amazement it has developed a problem. With the 2 AA batteries fitted found they start heating up getting pretty hot and the robot moves in very slow motion with none of the electronic sounds working and lights hardly coming on. Seems to me there is a short circuit in the electrics, but why that should happen while in nice dry storage conditions is troubling. I'm deciding if to take it apart to try and find the fault, but thought I would ask first if anybody else has discovered this problem?

post-214-0-73655200-1413362073_thumb.jpg

Hi MRH

Suppose you have tried giving him a few gentle taps etc? It sometimes does the trick.Sounds like it's stuck or maybe as you say,a short somewhere.I would try more batteries and tapping etc. Polarity correct? I am sure I am not the only one to have put the batteries in the wrong way?!? Ha,maybe I am the only one! That's quite an expensive toy,I would tap and gently shake it before taking it apart.Sometimes they suddenly burst into life,hopefully it will!! I would think some members here will maybe have the exact answer for you soon enough.

My Alps T.V. Space man does this,I have had it from new too! I remember my dad sticking a small screwdriver inside of his body and giving a cog a nudge and away he goes.I still have to do that now but I am not taking him apart to find out why,he has never been apart since bought in around 1964!

Hi Ranger, thank for the reply, but tried all your tips above and everything I know to get it going properly, the fact the batteries are getting hot seems to indicate a short circuit inside, I wouldn't be surprised if I left them in there long enough there would be some some of melt down. :scratchhead:

Hi MRH,

No,not a good idea to leave them in.I still think it may just be stuck.I have had similar problems and generally it's been because the mechanism has jammed up.As you know,they dont like standing around and not being run. I am guilty of this! I would wait and see what other members have to say then before taking him apart.

Sorry to hear about your Rohr Robby not functioning properly, it's always disappointing to find a robot not coming to life as he should.

I understand that John Rigg is having some difficulties regarding his internet service lately but hopefully he'll chime in with a suggestion for you, he was the trouble-shooter on the design of this robot.

This happened to a Buster the Robot I have...turned out the batteries leaked a little. Hard to see, but enough to cross the poles. THe batteries got so hot it warped the plastic battery cover. So double check to see if there is a little leakage from the batteries that can cause this.

Well the good news for me is that it is working properly now, I couldn't get it going properly by any means using the normal external methods so decided to have a look inside, any case I have always been curious what was inside this particular robot, I released most of the tabs and was just about to remove the front body moulding, just two tabs to go. Thought I would have one last try, put the batteries back in and amazingly it burst back into working correctly. What exactly was the problem I don't know. I know toys need a slap and nudge to get them going, but it was the overheating batteries that I found strange. Thanks to all for the tips.

BTW - this Osaka Robby has a mixture of plastic and metal gears, so something to bear in mind for the future, plastic gear problems!!

Archived