Advice On Original Silver Mechanized Robot

Nick in NY

I have an original silver mechanized robot that no longer works. The motor belt was replaced several years ago along with a repair to one of the battery compartments, so that it worked okay for awhile. Also, someone may have repainted the lower quarter of an inch or so above the feet (I'm not sure if it was, just that it looks retouched). Definitely an original as it has the smooth round knobs on the battery doors that I believe only original silver mechanized robots have. Also, one of the battery doors does not snap shut. Anyway, is this worth restoring to working condition?

It's my understanding through the years, speaking with extremely qualified robot repair persons that opening a robot's tabs once usually isn't too terrible a thing to do if done properly and you're intent is to sell it as a working example and is done with little or no indications of its opening. A second opening of these tabs could spell trouble as they may snap off. Eventually the toy will again be inoperative anyway.

An original silver Mechanized is a genuinely rare and scarce item and the rarer the toy the less it matters if it works. Better if tabs are intact and robot is inoperable as compared to a working example with no tabs holding it together. As John Rigg has stated here a while back every time we start the toy up we're killing it a little more.

Maybe the re-touching of the legs on yours makes this one unique, maybe a salesman's sample that was carted around to prospective buyers in its time. I know there aren't many of the silver ones around. Period.

I would not want to be the guy to bend those tabs again. There are many things that can be fixed with out opening up the robots body, alot of things can be reached threw the leg body openings and by removing just the chrome chest "switch" plate. it just depends on what the specific problem is.

Archived