Chinese Spacewalk Man Stamped Japan On Ebay

Ranger

I saw this robot on ebay advertised as being made in JAPAN.#111477097234.Could be embarrassing if I am wrong but I have never seen one crudely stamped onto the battery door like this one, it should be stamped into the metal. Also the quality and finish etc isn't there.I am 99.9% it's Chinese.It's not as they they are asking much for it but it has a bid on it. No seasoned collector would get fooled but a newbie just might pay too much for it.I sent the seller a message but had no reply yet.

Hi Ranger, Definitely a Chinese Walk Man with false Japan marking on the rear. We will wait to hear what the seller has to say, trouble is sometimes they won't admit it to themselves, let alone the public.

You are quite right about the finish it looks like a attempt to "age" the toy, always go with you gut instinct and then get a second opinion as you did.

Yes,the Chinese ones are very badly put together and the finish is very poor besides all the other tell tale signs.I don't even think anyone has tried to age it,I have had several of them and probably have got some kicking around somewhere,thats how they are! Anyway,the seller has contacted me and said he was a ceramics person,not a toy person and that he will add my comments to the listing,Result!

I recall seeing these in the mid-'90s when times were tough and I thought at $10 each at 'The Museum Store' in Toronto the price wasn't bad.

I went through at least a dozen of them to find one intact, absolutely none were. The shoes were off, or an arm or leg was dangling or off or the head would fall off. Others were simply a box of broken tin crap, didn't buy any. Made me wonder why build something that bad to begin with??? :scratchhead::dirtdog:

Great the seller listened to you. I've put the word out to a few sellers over the last while, most correct their listing while others ignore completely.

Thanks Morbius

Yes,this one turned out well, I really like him too! :biggrin:

post-331-1142693629.jpg

Now this version is truly a Mars Attacks classic Machine gunner. :biggrin:

Archived