Global Shipping Program

Morbius

Although I don't buy a whole lot off of e-bay these days there seems to be a troubling trend. Granted, by using the GSP there are likely sellers in the U.S. who wouldn't normally sell to Canada but will under this system but it appears to be a very flawed concept. It saves the seller filling out the customs forms etc. but at what cost?

First of all the shipping charges are generally outrageous to begin with. Some little item which should ship to Canada in an envelope for maybe $5. may cost $16 under this program.

Second, it takes a few days for the item to ship where by my experience sellers get the item out within a day or two max.

Third, I receive a notice from Paypal that 2 items have been charged, one charge for the item and the other is the shipping/handling and 'customs fees' this was very confusing the first time I used it as a robot book I'd ordered was being shipped in 2 packages or so it states. One big issue I have with the customs being paid up front is this: our postal system won't generally charge me duty on items less than $50 ($20 by the book) as it's not worth their time or trouble so they're sent through quickly not being opened for inspection, they're really good about that. I've seen items for $20 with $10 duty added automatically, where do they get off charging me 50% duty on something that shouldn't have a charge to begin with???

Fourth, after it ships I receive a tracking number which shows me nothing until the item nears Kentucky, again this could be many days later... this is the 'hub' where everything goes to from the sellers. More days go on.

Reaches Kentucky and I'll get a message that one of two 'packages' have been delivered successfully. Not to me. I got a kick out of this as one item I ordered was a book, how do you ship a book in 2 packages?

From that point apparently they have been known to re-pack your item in a smaller box to save postage. Then there is no more tracking for maybe a week or two until it reaches a carrier at my end which sometimes is our regular postal service and other times Can-Par or some other no-name truck. If item is sent cheaply by USPS to me I can have it in my hands within a week or less easily with FULL TRACKING at every step, nothing complicated there.

Lately just about every e-bay listing has this damn GSP. I have asked sellers if I can have it sent regular mail and a few have done this for me at much less cost with the seller even saying the GSP is outrageous with their charges. I hate not being able to track a purchase. Most sellers I've dealt with around the world are wonderful sending me a tracking number within hours or sometimes minutes and the item is tracked at every stage and that's the way to do it. I'm sure e-bay/sellers are losing customers, I for one don't want to pay $27 shipping/customs on a $15 item AND have it re-packed in an inferior way by a third party not to mention GSP/e-bay maybe keeping those bogus customs fees.

My rant is done. :down::rolling:

In Transit-Arrived at USPS Facility

Sep-25-14, 23:59 PM, CINCINNATI, OH 45235

Arrived at US shipping Center

Sep-25-14, 23:59 PM, ERLANGER, KY 41018

In Transit-Arrived at Post Office

Sep-25-14, 23:58 PM, CINCINNATI, OH 45235

In Transit-Departed USPS Facility

Sep-25-14, 04:44 AM, SAINT PAUL, MN 55121

In Transit-Arrived at USPS Origin Facility

Sep-24-14, 22:52 PM, SAINT PAUL, MN 55121

In Transit-Departed Post Office

Sep-24-14, 16:38 PM, BRAHAM, MN 55006

In Transit-Acceptance

Sep-24-14, 15:49 PM, BRAHAM, MN 55006

Recent purchase of minor item, this is how confusing it gets. When it hits Canada the item will be back and forth so many times it'll make your head spin. :scratchhead::lousyputer::wacko: :pfft: :breakit: Could've just been shoved into an envelope and sent USPS, I'd have it in 3 days.

I've read on-line about Canadians buying on e-bay from a Canadian seller and their item still ends up in Kentucky 'cause they have to actually see the item you bought. Geez. I wouldn't want a robot sent to this many post offices in one trip.

post-298-0-63465300-1411751977.jpg

"When you view an item that is being offered to you through the Global Shipping Program, you see an estimate of the international shipping charges and any import charges in the item listing. Once you purchase the item, the final charges appear at checkout.

Import charges include certain fees, such as export classification, importation risk premium, and variance fees, which are assessed by the global shipping provider as part of the services provided by the Global Shipping Program. These fees are in addition to any customs duties and taxes imposed by country tax and customs officials. For additional information about applicable fees, see theeBay Global Shipping Program Buyer Terms & Conditions.

Important things to keep in mind:

• The charges that you see in the item listing are not final until you pay for the item. These charges could change if, for example, you change your shipping address during checkout, or if the applicable import rules change before you complete your payment."

You can only see the actual shipping/import taxes AFTER you purchase the item. I'd kind of like to know how much before I buy the item not leaving it up to the whim of the GSP.

I share you annoyance re this morbious.I bought a robot from the USA,cost £15 sterling plus post.I got a card saying my item could not be delivered as there was a charge to pay.Grrr! I had to pay £11 sterling to get my robot which cost £15. Yep,£11 for a £15 item.It's robbery!!!

Thanks for the feedback Ranger. I wish there was a way to let e-bay know this is not right for anyone but THEM. I'd rather take my chances with duties at my door than pay them when it's not necessary.

There are items on e-bay under this shipping system which would easily double or triple item cost. Like the Star Wars weapons for the little figs, $5 for the item and $27 to ship. And e-bay says they've done overseas buyers a favour. Right. :breakit::dirtdog::down:

I was stupid enough to buy a Matt Mason sled under this program a couple weeks ago, should be here soon I guess. (Yeh, the shipping was more than the item)...That's the one with the itinerary posted above, seems the path it has taken is about as straight as the flight path of a 'Water Wiggle'. :rolling:

I take it from your post you're likely in UK? Under the 'old' mail system I never had an issue with dealings with U.K., Japan, Italy etc. and got everything really quickly and reasonably inexpensive.

post-298-0-40128600-1412023384.gif

Here's another smashed box through the GSP. Tiny thin item, Matt Mason sled. My suspicion is that this package (like others I've gotten through this program) have been opened and re-packaged by someone in Kentucky. Item was perfect, no damage but I've never and never will buy anything through the GSP with any real value. All the time and trouble I'm sure these sellers use to ship something only to have it ripped apart and re-boxed, re-labelled by them and sent on its way cheaper in a crappy box so Pitney Bowes can pocket the difference. And the seller has no recourse apparently if the buyer leaves a negative regarding packing.

Anything I've ever received through the USPS has been awesome with boxes always showing up intact, not like this crappy re-re-re-used scrunchy box. Too bad e-bay has turned into this debacle. Until they established this whole GSP thing I'd simply e-mail the seller who claimed to not ship outside the U.S. and more often than not they'd say no problem to send to Canada at really reasonable rates (cheep), they have always been obliging but now we have this to put up with. If the GSP thing makes it much easier for sellers shipping out of the U.S. then so be it but don't rip us off along the way. :frustrate:

post-298-0-88860400-1412112532_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-47028600-1412112539_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-99932000-1412112545_thumb.jpg

Just received a package through GSP. Perfect condition, arrived fast, not scrunched at all. This time it worked out great! :scratchhead::lecture::biggrin:

• 1 year later...

Here is another example of the 'Global Shipping Program' yet again.  I don't generally deal with a seller who uses this but as I've been looking for these 2 plastic figures for years and this seller had them I figured I'd ignore my own advice and go for it and didn't want to bother any members in the U.S. with re-shipping them to me.  They were on about 15 different trucks over 2 weeks from Kentucky to near Toronto.  One figure $7.95 and one $16.95.  Then shipping through the GSP: near $45. U.S.  including DUTIES.  As a benchmark I got 3 figures from another 'dromer a few weeks ago for nearly 1/3 the shipping cost.  You can see how tiny the packages are next to an eyeglass case, we all have to put up with some crap to get these old toys to our door. We also shouldn't be paying duties on $6. antique NEE: OLD used items. Look at the size of these things.  I've gotten robots from U.S. dealers for less than half the cost of these.  That's the way it goes.:breakit::frustrate:

packages.JPG

Archived