Henk Gosses Youtube Home Movie

Ultrarobotman

Hi everyone. I got started on youtube today and eventually ended up watching Henk Gosses home movie of his super huge and outstanding robot collection. I have watched both parts 1 & 2 before but watching today got me to thinking - and I have to say I am truly ranking among the top of low - tech guys out there , that being said, is it possible or fairly easy today to digitally re-master his videos, you know, to view them more clearly from the youtube posting- I mean, of course it can be done with the original tape, but can it be done with what we have? It really is an outstanding collection and would pay tribute to a man who seemed like a passionate collector but few of us newer members ever knew but still gets mentioned to this day on occasion. My gut feeling says this is too hard or too big of a project, and of course the original version will remain on youtube but is well worth considering if anyone can do it. Just a thought. It may also be a cool thing to add to the video part right here on Alphahome. :biggrin: I have added the link to the youtube video. In doing so, I just realized there is a part #3 !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGgMzHEb5PY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRcnZLLhwBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gtnpGcH3_g

Yes, the prose that would emit from Henk's posts years ago was simply amazing. The knowledge he had about these toys was priceless, mad scientist, poet, electrical engineer, mechanic, artist and many other talents are what he showed us. I only knew him here for a few years before his passing but always loved his posts.

As I was adding the vintage Planet robots early on while I was a newby...I was ribbed by him a couple of times here about my fascination with those especially and all things Robby as they were very common to him but thrilling to me. Even those conversations were classic and never condescending in any form.

The last thing I recall doing for him was that the Alphadromers were searching for a particular tea-tin he required for some custom robots he had in mind. Every time we went grocery shopping or through a second-hand place wife of Morbius Laurie and Kelly were on the look out but we never found any in time.

Would be nice Ultrarobotman if these tapes could be restored. I have a friend who took our Beta tapes from the early '80's on (he took 'em in early '90s) and they apparently are still beautiful today and have held up well, always used the 2 hour speed on SuperHG or PRO tape without the squiggly picture. Everyone else we knew went VHS and used the damn 6 or 8 hour speed no-name crap so you couldn't tell a fence post from an actor, where those same folks would come by for a movie and just about fall over when they saw the Beta tape quality better than some theatres of the time. Even though the Sony Beta machine cost over 2 months' wages at the time. They were fun times though.

In video, you can't restore what isn't there. Unless you had access to the original tapes and they were of high quality, there's not much you can do despite what Hollywood would have you believe.

Those YouTube videos are mine. I believe Joe K. provided the original content -- Henk sent it to him. (Joe, you can correct me if I'm mistaken... my brain doesn't seem to work this morning.) I digitized them, did some rough editing, and uploaded the content to my account.

There's unfortunately not a whole lot that can be done about the quality. I did some color correction, adjusted contrast, reduced some noise, but in the end, this is still what we ended up with. I'm sure high-end places with better gear and experience could tweak a little more out of the video, but the truth is, the original content just wasn't that great. Consumer video is often a terrible medium.

I'm glad people are still coming across these videos and enjoying them.

since those tapes were made for other collectors to pass around to each other, you need to find the first person who got the tape from Henk

and ask them to burn it to DVD then they can post that on You Tube. I have a Copy of a Copy of a Copy of a Copy of a Copy and it is just

as bad as the one Dr. Atomic posted.

I'm sorry to bring this back to the top again after a few days but just wanted to thank those involved for confirming my gut feeling about not being able to enhance the existing uploaded videos. And now I know. Doc, I was unaware those belonged to you, and yes, from time to time, me & son watch them.(as well as Joes and others too) The best thing is they are so long we never sit through the whole thing so we are always seeing and enjoying new stuff and really, the true-vintage footage is what may just make it most enjoyable anyway. it just would be cool to see it as if we were right there with him. With the way technology is rapidly progressing, who knows? Anyway..Thank You. :cheers:

That could very well be, Stan. At this point in time, both my short term and long term memory ain't what it use to be!.

Either way, the VHS tape that Doc used was definitely second or third (or fourth) generation. I'm surprised the end result was as good as he was able to turn out.

So glad that Henk compiled the scenes in the first place. A true look behind the genius that was H.I. Gosses.

Archived