Jaw's Alphabot Project

robothut

I managed to find enough materials to build 5 of these Metal battery operated JAW's AlphaBot robots. The bodys , nose and antennas are metal the arms are plastic and the feet are resin. The 2 AAA battery holder is plastic and located on the back. The eyes are chrome metal with back lit ruby red glass. The jaws are resin. The paint finish is a nice random black wrinkle. I will keep one for the Hut but the other 4 will need to find homes

so email me at robothut "@" yahoo.com if interested. Will I build more ? I don't know they are alot of work to make and I do have other new projects that I would like to do.

Here is a 60 second you tube of all five bots running at the same time.

http://youtu.be/awnqJ4YzsMA

The box art is modified MOON RAKER poster artwork in honor of JAW's.

This bots are the same scale as the wind up AlphaBots.

Here are pictures. The box cardboard is recycled, the box bottom parts are from pizza boxes. give then a sniff and see if you can guess what type pizza I had !

post-7-0-21064700-1411415772_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-58508100-1411415785_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-89567400-1411415800_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-42937800-1411415824_thumb.jpg

Here are some build pictures and information.

First I wanted to keep the scale the same as the windup AlphaBots that I made for Botstock this year. So I started looking for some "U" channel metal that I could use for the side and inside leg parts. It needed to be 1.25 inches wide. In the past I have cut the parts in flat material then would bend the sides to make the "U" shape but his is a lot of work and hard to do perfectly, so that started the search for metal that was already the right width and had side bends. I did not find any "U" channel the size I wanted but I did find some square metal tubing that was right. So I use the band saw with a metal cutting blade to cut the square tubing in 1/2. being that I was dealing surplus metal stock I could not choise how thick the metal was so. I wanted thin metal like you would find in a toy this size as that would make it easy to bend, but all I could find at the time was 3/16ths thick aluminum. yep you could drive a car over it and it would not bend.

post-7-0-05265500-1411569645_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-40925900-1411569661_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-88414400-1411569677_thumb.jpg

The body front and back parts and cut on my shear press from flat aluminum stock. The inside the leg area has to be cut by hand on the band saw then files smooth.

All the screw mounting holes have to be drilled in the front and back parts as well as the side and leg side parts. No room for error as the small screw must line up.

The eye holes are drilled and slots for the metal nose to tab on are cut using a dremel with a fiber cut off wheel.

A silicon rubber mold is made from the master foot and JAWs parts then the final parts are cast in resin.

The wind up guts from the Liliput are stripped down and a battery motor is put in place of the wind up parts to drive the leg linkage.

The battery box is glued to the body back and a hole is drilled for the toggle switch to mount.

In all it takes about 4 days to make and build and paint 1 robot and box.

There are still 2 bots looking for a home, the robots are $100 bucks ,"$85 bucks and $15 bucks for shipping with the USA" .

I do not have a working pay pal account at this time so that makes it hard for you over sea guys I know.

post-7-0-07768500-1411569893_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-12796000-1411569914_thumb.jpg

We have a new arrival at the Netzel home...One of John's Jaws Alphabots. As usual John come through with another work of art. The paint job is perfect for it and he works really well...looks great when he's walking. And he's so quiet. I didn't know he was even on when I flipped the switch until I saw the feet moving. Thanks John for giving me the opportunity to own one of these beauties...I am proud to add it into my collection.

post-125-0-77932400-1412027898_thumb.jpg

Archived