Bank In The Background (3D Printed Ding-A-Ling)

Joe K.

A couple months ago, I came upon this image with Detecto in the background:

post-16-0-63846400-1411287945_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-50253400-1411288013_thumb.jpgpost-16-0-63300200-1411288043.jpg

Now, here's an image with Bank in the background:

post-16-0-48511900-1411288126_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-64945200-1411289895_thumb.jpgpost-16-0-67434100-1411288208.jpg

The face matches the catalog rendering, but differs from the one that came with a set that sold on eBay a year ago:

post-16-0-16515500-1411288353.jpgpost-16-0-50163800-1411289446.jpg

Here, the box artwork matches the toy.

Is it possible that there were two versions produced by Topper toys?

Talk about a photo bomb!

Joe - I hate to throw around the word prototype but the bank question is very interesting. I certainly couldn't say if there are two production versions but I would be very interested to find out! I believe we have a member who is very up on the Dings, Topper I believe? Is he still around?

• 1 month later...

This recently ended auction might explain both of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reproduction-Ding-A-Ling-Bank-Robot-walks-works-on-Skyway-with-Topper-PowerPack-/231366687414?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35de877ab6

post-16-0-53030700-1414479501.jpgpost-16-0-34481300-1414479521.jpg

REPRODUCTION Ding a Ling Bank robot. This is the Ding a Ling Bank robot as seen on the back of the individual robot packages. The robot is made of plastic and is as durable as the originals. Using the PowerPack, the Bank walks and travels the skyway just like the original Ding a Lings. Why wait forever to get Bank when there is only one known to exist? If you are one of those collectors who has three boxed spys (Yes, I have seen this) then this reproduction is probably not for you. If you simply want the complete collection, here is your chance to get a Bank. I made Bank so I could have one in my collection. I don't think there is any other way to get a Bank. I am myself a Ding A Ling collector. I have been looking for 14 years for a Bank, Detecto, Cowboy, Jack, or Driver. They are just too rare for me to find. If you have a real one, please consider selling it to me. Please examine the pictures closely. And then simply hit the buy button. Bank Robot looks even better in person. And what have you got to loose? Money back if not happy for any reason. This Reproduction Bank robot will exist in a very small number so as to preserve it's value. Because I made this Bank robot entirely with no outside help, I have chosen to limit the production to a small number. Get yours now as they will all be gone by Xmas. Robot comes with removable back cover and lifetime warranty. Power Pack not included. I understand the cost is high. Please consider how difficult and expensive it was for me to make this robot at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Evening All. This is one of those serendipity moments. I haven't been in this forum for a couple of years. Too busy raising a teen and building full scale robots (B9 and R2) I ran across this thread while trolling for images. Here is the lowdown:

These are reproduction Ding-A-Lings created by Jeff ***** (didn't ask permission to use his last name) in collaboration with another collector using 3-D printing. I have one of the Banks and it's amazing. Very detailed, solid plastic, and fully functional. Jeff is now working on Cowboy. I'm hoping he'll get ambitious and do even more of the rarer Dings. Several collectors have been creating others. I've build a Detecto, SkyCap, and HardDrive and am looking into 3D printing myself.

Hi Joe. It's been ages since we had contact. I've been getting out of robot collecting due to limited storage space here in San Francisco. Most of my efforts have been on full-size robots that keep me busy. Who knew I'd be learning robotics at my age. I've been reducing the collection but don't be surprised if you get a box at the museum :biggrin:

Daniel

3D printing is truly amazing. I was blown away when a friend demonstrated his printer for me. Just watching it work was fascinating. The results are clean and highly detail. It is perfect for plastic parts like those found on these little robots

Dan,

Thanks for your Bank evaluation. Your words mean the most to me about Dings. I think everyone respects you as a Ding a Ling expert. I had outside help with the Zeroids DVD story line, but I drew all the Zeroids and Ding a Ling CAD robots. Little did I know that in a few years more, I could print them. Detecto and Bank were drawn in 2004 to be in the Zeroids movie in a trailer at the end. I drew and printed the Ding a Lings completely myself with my own 3D printer. No one else was involved with the Ding reproduction (replicant) project. But I did see the drawings of Bank and Detecto first on your excellent web site. Thanks again for your review.

The replicants are just amazing. They look so real! How were you able to create the authentic look of the plastic? Was it a matter of the choice of the material or a calibration on the printer that created the matte feel to the surface? Did you do any hand painting or other hand touch up to finish the detail? I'm fascinated!

Finneas,

The robots are actually made of plastic. The colors are all colored plastic . Even the black of the eye is layered over the top of the eye piece. There is no painting involved. All the parts are created one at a time. Since you are interested, I am going to make you a picture to show how the robot was designed. Detecto and Bank have their own movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_t5az23Ms8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmnftXtAk10

post-2014-0-36865900-1416638442_thumb.jp

• Brian.. changed the title to Bank In The Background (3D Printed Ding-A-Ling)

Archived