Vintage Space Whale video

robothut

In my opinion, the greatest space toy of all, and the strangest, which helps make it so wonderful. He's flying though the stars, gobbling them as he goes. And he is the stars - they're on his skin or perhaps they're shining through from inside him.

It's one of the first space toys I ever got - in 1958 when I was three. I still have it. The elephant came the same day when my mom took my brother and I to a puppet show at a downtown department store.

I wonder how they came to combine the animal concept with the ship concept. The same idea appeared later in "My Friend, Totoro" when the cat creature is also a bus. I borrowed it for my "Nova's Ark", but I used the elephant for the ship instead. I suppose I had to make my story a little logical, since I'm from Ohio! Nobody does weird wonderful magic like the Japanese! I've often wondered if the stuff that seems bizarre to me is more ordinary to them, or if they accept magic in a different way, almost the way we accept religion here.

yes, it's one of the weirdest space toys, but somehow, it just shines.

it must be the colour combination, and of course the action. unique, is the word that really sums up this toy.

truly great piece.

Archived