Can This Guy Be Serious?

kennetzel

Ken - Yes I think they are serious. After all, Robert the Robot is super rare! (In Japan)

I love the Horikawa "Imobility" robot they have for sale. It's a great way to slip in the fact that the robot is not working without saying it outright.

Well, Robert may be rare in Japan...but he's advertising it as rare TIN made in Japan. Wasn't Robert made in the US back then? And he lists it as a 1950 when they didn't come out til 1953 or 54. It just seems he is intentionally misrepresenting it.

Seems that the 'Premium Japan Selling Assistant' is getting their yen mixed up with U.S. $. Always has been that way but occasionally they'll have a couple items in the 'real' price zone.

Ken - I was joking about Robert being rare (hardy har har). Not to defend the seller but I think they included "tin toy" in the title of the auction to attract people who are doing a search for those words. I don't believe they are actually trying to convince anyone that Robert is made of tin. I also think they are assuming that Robert is a Japanese made toy because it's in the Kitahara book which features mainly Japanese robots. Certainly not an informed seller and the title is asking for confusion but that's what I think is going on, for what it's worth.

Archived