Astronaut Head On Later Plastic Horikawa

Fineas J. Whoopie

I don't believe I've seen this head on this body before. Has anyone else seen it before? A pic of the box maybe?

post-143-0-45849700-1408213402_thumb.jpg

This is a strange one...I've followed this one for the past week, never seen the astronaut head on that body or this colour. Usually it's the big-eyed robot face with chrome ears and I guess we'll never know how many variations there are unless we all get invited to Belgium for a peek. :lecture:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181491023984?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Note: The chrome mouth piece seems to be backwards???? He's got strange shoes too not to mention the ears which seem too small for the inset. Seems like there should be the larger concentric chromed plastic ears, they were likely using up their spare parts. The tin soles point to late '70s. Just doesn't seem correct but it's quite pleasing.

The only blue astronaut head I can recall is this earlier metallic version in the lower pic (from Robotnut's site), not the bright blue however digital cameras have been known to give strange hues to these toys at times.

post-298-0-36515300-1408215984_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-42360100-1408216874_thumb.jpg

There is always the possibility of a marriage unless this combo has been seen before. A box depicting this head with this body would confirm its legitimacy. Joe?

I've never seen it before. I'd vote: DIY. The mouth/nose piece came from a different head, too, I think. That's why it doesn't quite fit right.

But, as Mike says, Xris just might have one!

The body matches Horikawa's Super Space Commander:

post-16-0-55876300-1408219733_thumb.jpg

This is where the mouth/nose may have come from.

I can't recall ever seeing a plastic, blue astronaut that the head could've come from.

Could be a european variant like this could be. My Radar Hunter Robot from Italy in orange (where they all seem to be) is a wonderful change from the usual colours.

post-298-0-07263000-1408229289_thumb.jpg

We spotted this one a few days ago too and were set back a bit. Never seen one like it; the color is what really makes it seem weird. Right away I thought Chinese repros of Horikawas but then the "made in Japan" on the battery box, but then again the hinge area is a little broken and I thought it could have been replaced with a door from a Horikawa smoking engine robot. I don't know but my gut tells me this can't be a Horikawa?? :scratchhead:

Oh the robot is certainly a Horikawa alright. A much later Horikawa from the late seventies or eighties but a Horikawa none the less. See Joe K's post above which shows the box that goes with the Super Space Commander body. Note the SH logo on the right hand bottom corner.

I seem to recall having seen the plastic Moon Explorer once in blue, in an eBay UK auction. Just like the black version pictured above, only blue...

Who has one of these robots? Can someone confirm the material the head is made of? The arms and the feet are plastic....are we sure the head is tin?

post-143-0-55539700-1408552877_thumb.jpg

The interest shown here explains why there are so many of these custom jobs showing up on EBay. Gilbert knows the Horikawas inside out and supports "a Superspace Commander for the lower part and mouth. The head and is possibly Hong Kong robot or a SH Radar Robot, the ears are Radar Robot."

(He's been working on the Horikawa robot database and the level of detail is far in excess of anything I could manage.)

As Keith says, "Know your seller."

Archived