Is This Sy Mechanical Space Man Original Or Repro?

leotoys

It could be Repro - says Atomic Robot on the back

the known Originals have Space Man on the back

(At least all my 3 Originals i have)

But this is unusual here

See my comment below!

Yes, I've personally dealt with Sinbad over the phone years ago about his robots and he is a wonderful seller all around, great service. :biggrin:

This robot is darn close to the originals, good proportions. Thanks Gernot, I learned something for the day.

Someone went a long way to fake up the SY Spaceman. The age looks legit and there is a SY logo on the back. Without the Atomic Robot difference this one may have gone un detected. Good eye Leo! This one even fooled Sinbad. Apparently he pulled the auction as soon as he was tipped off. It's a jungle out there! Even honest dealers with years of experience can get fooled!

post-143-0-72177500-1407001985_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-60010600-1407002001_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-07637500-1407002015_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-52413800-1407002025_thumb.jpg

I don't know.... there are so many small details that point to this robot being original. Like the fact that the eyes are separate pieces tabbed onto the shell, unlike on the repros which are molded into the shell. And the reverse of the tabs are blue as well as the inside of the arms. On the repros these are bare metal. Is it possible that there is an original version that says Atomic Robot?

I always wondered why the repro guys chose to use the Atomic Robot wording. It's not as though they wanted to provide a way for collectors to distinguish between the old and the new. I'll take a closer look at the ones I have, just in case there's a surprise.

Yes- this is strange- looking at the photos all Details looks original - as you pointed out Don !

Maybe i am wrong but all my Originals in my collection have the Space Man words on the back .

Talking about Sindbad - Moktar - he is a Great Dealer and friendly Person and normally he should recognize it as original or repro .

The logo is also looking original! And would be hard to fake.- but all my samples (original) have the SY logo on the left side of the Body !!

Still strange - but i have never seen an Original before saying Atomic Man in the back!

Another Point is the Key - the Originals have a fixed Key - not a separate Key

The pip head version of the repro has Space Robot on the back.

The antenna repro version has Atomic Robot.

I've only seen originals with Space Man wording.

The robot in question has the stem of a fixed key but is missing the key head. Gernot - do you have the version with the loop in the head?

Yes- Don i have all the versions!

now i checked again pictures of Repros and the Originals :

The Originals have wide wheels - Repros have smaller narrow wheels.

The lower back Part of the robot where the clean looking logo sits on the Ebay sample- has blue printed parts (8 pieces corners or the 8 arches below the belt): on the Originals they are all Pointed to the right side (unsymmetrical) - on the Repros the blue parts are Pointed to the left side of the 4 left parts and 4 blue parts are pointing to the right (symmetrical)!

The Ebay sample has small Wheels and also the symmetrical blue printed parts - Same as the repro!!!

The line of blue Dots below the rear head section is also not in a straight line as the Originals - Same as the repro!

One more- the eyes of originals have full circle red lines - Repros just upper half circle - like the Ebay sample !

Now i am 100% convinced it is a Repro with a Fake attached logo! That is my opinion. Too many difference from all the Originals - not only my samples but also pictures from other Originals.

Like I said at first - if this is a fake someone did a lot of work on it. Do any of the repros have separate pieces for eyes?

Archived