One From The Database!

The Toyman

This morning the first thing I spotted on Ebay was this saucer on a "Buy It Now", a quick check on the database confirmed its rarity. The seller had all sorts of junk for sale and this was being sold as parts. It looks like it just needs a dome and a back wheel! :thumbs:

...oh...and a box! :blush:

Noel

post-648-0-47803000-1406953759_thumb.jpg

A rare bird indeed! I think the most rare of Masudaya's saucers. I've actually never even seen a picture of a complete example. Nice pickup! Please post pics after you fix her up!

post-143-0-52895700-1407030286_thumb.jpg

The saucer arrived this morning, it looks a bit the worse for wear but no worse than I expected. I need to gently seperate the two halves and start the big clean up....anyone got a dome? :blush:

Noel

post-648-0-79143000-1407479806_thumb.jpg

post-648-0-90638000-1407479831_thumb.jpg

post-648-0-80045100-1407479864_thumb.jpg

great catch noel.

you should be able to get a donor dome from somewhere easily enough. you'll have to cut a window opening into it, is there any reference out there as to how the dome looks?

i have to say even without the dome, it still looks great.

The pressing including the slot placement for the dome looks exactly like the X-3000. I would suspect that the dome for the Space Pilots is the same except for the opening for the guns.

post-143-0-21192800-1407524145_thumb.jpg

Marco, that's fabulous, the diameter is 6cms and the tinplate disc that supports the two pilots is a fraction over 5cms. I have the tools to delicately cut out a slot for the guns but I'll need to find out how it looks ( it might even have a raised border around the edge? ) My plan is to separate the two halves, clean everything, then straighten the fins, tabs etc and then 'dry brush' the red and silver paintwork, and finally a good polish and re assemble.

Fineas, I'm 99% sure that the dome on the X-3000 will be the same, thanks!

post-648-0-45596700-1407669623_thumb.jpg

Noel - can you tell by the mechanics what the "action" was on this piece? On the X-3000 the center piece inside the dome rotates. The box art for the Space Pilots saucer makes it look like the dome surrounds the guns snugly. By the gear protruding into the dome area it looks like the pilot piece moves in some way. Possibly a reciprocating action? What are your thoughts? I'd like to see the underside of the pilot assembly.

Hi Fineas,

Here's a couple of pics. I've not had time to straighten everything out, but it looks as if the square hole between the white section and the tin circular section slots over the raised pin on the friction motor ( which moves forwards and backwards ) The 'cam' effect must move the Pilots from side to side as the space ship rolls along. What a cool action!

It's going to be a week or so before I can start on it but I'll keep you posted.

Noel

post-648-0-22450400-1407754773_thumb.jpg

post-648-0-01710900-1407754790_thumb.jpg

So if I understand it correctly it looks like the pilots and the gun pivot from side to side in a sweeping machine gun motion. That would suggest to me that the opening in the dome needs to be wider than it is depicted in the box art. I envy you in this project Noel.

Archived