Anyone heard of Propay?

Fineas J. Whoopie

I won a comic book on ebay yesterday and went to check out and found myself on a website called Propay and they were asking for my CC info. Needless to say I wasn't going to give up my CC number to a website I never heard of before, so I contacted the seller (who has had it with Paypal) and today I sent a money order to pay for the item. I haven't sent a money order to pay for an ebay item for probably ten years! Back in those days I paid exclusively with money orders. Remember those days?

Anyway, has anyone heard of this Propay? Is this an up and coming service or a fly by night operation?

I did the same thing last year only it was a robot and when I checked out they wanted "Pro Pay" all kinds of info that I was not about to give out so I emailed the seller and made other arrangements. Pay Pal is bad enough, I'm not adding Pro Pay to list. I did how ever find out recently and may be its been this way for a long time I do not know, but you do not need to be a Pay Pal member to use Pay Pal any more, at check out you can check out with a pay pal account or with just a debit or credit card, yes they try to get you to join pay pal as your paying but you do not have too. Pay Pal is just the card processing company for lots of web sites now.

We've done a lot of purchases from Ebay over the last few years (just look at my collection). I have never heard of Pro Pay until just now. I might be considered somewhat paranoid but I am very reluctant to give any personal info out these days, and I sure would not to a site called Pro-Pay.

My sentiment exactly. I don't care if the seller trusts the site, there is no way I am going to give my CC info to a website I never heard of before and didn't seek out in the first place. If I did, I might as well drive around town with my CC number on a bumper sticker on my car. Even if you trust the employees, there are hackers out there who can actually get into the major corporations data bases. I imagine a new small company like Pro Pay would be a walk in the park for these hackers. No thanks!

Archived