Am I missing something here?

Morbius

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331264567006?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robot-Classic-1950s-Mint-Mint-Mint-Working-Published-On-Cover-Robot-Book-/331211417058?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1dbd25e2

I tink they've got their decimal in the wrong frickin' spot. :ohmy: I can understand 'Japanese Premium Assistant Seller' where they may confuse yen with $ but this is IN U.S. dollars. It's a Barnum moment I guess. Maybe they're AFA approved...but they ain't hermetically sealed. :scratchhead:

post-298-0-68337800-1406473174_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-59984900-1406473270_thumb.jpg

If you notice on the sellers other items they have huge asking prices and then in the sub title they give the actual range of offers they will consider. Like the Amazing Spider Man #1 they have for BIN at $107,000.00 but they go on to say offers should be from $5K to $10K. I believe their plan is to use ebay as advertising but to sell these items off of ebay. It seems to me they know they are not going to get their starting prices.

If you notice on the sellers other items they have huge asking prices and then in the sub title they give the actual range of offers they will consider. Like the Amazing Spider Man #1 they have for BIN at $107,000.00 but they go on to say offers should be from $5K to $10K. I believe their plan is to use ebay as advertising but to sell these items off of ebay. It seems to me they know they are not going to get their starting prices.

That is an interesting and valid concept. I see the same thing being employed on "Pawn Stars". Someone will bring in something incredibly expensive or so big that they know the pawn store won't buy it but the get the publicity and the public knows it's for sale. The car eating dino-robot monster comes to mind. But in this case, I'm sure the Pawn Stars production is in on it.

If he's accepting offers I don't suppose it matters how high his "Buy It Now" is, at least it gets people talking.

Actually I quite fancy the "Howdy Doody" at $1,000,000.00

Oh wait! how many noughts was that???

:scratchhead:

Andy - Absolutely correct about the production of Pawn Stars. It's all written in advance of setting up any cameras. I watch the show a lot and I enjoy it even though I know everything is set up.

Think about this - if you are a serious seller who has an item potentially worth thousands, in "reality" the LAST place you would want to shop it would be on Pawn Stars. Best case scenario is you get half of what is actually worth, worst case scenario is you still have your item but it just got trashed on one of the highest rated TV shows, either with a lowball appraisal or having your item labeled a fake. So many of the people who bring in the best stuff (the guy who brought in Jimi Hendrix's guitar comes to mind) Never intended to sell, but are brought on the show just to provide interesting items to discuss. The true story of the way the show is produced might come out after everyone's non discloser agreement expires. Same thing with American Pickers. I love the show, but not fooled by it either.

That's true, it's all set up in advance by producers in NYC. On Pawn Stars, the only thing that was real was the bickering about the buying price. Remember, I was on both Pawn Stars and American Pickers.......your humble TV Whore.........

Oh I remember Stan. Did you get an agent or what? Ha ha. I was wondering if you were going to chime in on this thread!

From the naive seller on Pawn Stars to the expert appraiser on American Pickers, Stan is living proof that these shows are REAL! :biggrin:

Oh they are real alright.......real items, real writers, real scripts and real directors.

The way I like to explain it to people who actually think these "reality" shows are unscripted is like this - imagine how expensive it would be to pay a production crew and to roll cameras without knowing when and if something interesting will actually happen. The biggest piece of theater is the concept of "freestyling" on American Pickers. It always cracks me up that they expect us to believe that they find a huge cache of collectibles and antiques - owned by a willing host mind you - every time they knock on a random door. It's laughable!! But like I said I still watch Pawn Stars and American Pickers more than any show on TV. You don't have to be fooled by it to be entertained by it. :biggrin:

My apologies for hijacking this thread.

Thanks Don really appreciate you adding to this thread, nice to see you posting again! :cheers:

I still watch those shows too only for entertainment purposes. It's amusing to see the one dustless item on a shelf that the guys pick up on, shelf's been there with years of dust except for that one robot or whatever it might be. And we'll see the same item in another episode too, how lucky we are.

Watched Canadian Pickers a few weeks back and there was a Mechanized on the shelf of a massive toy collector. They focussed on the tin trucks and cars but totally ignored the prize on the top shelf. Of course, usually they find canoes, Indian relics and Eskimo stuff (I'm not making this up). Also the difference is the seller says "I want $100 for that and the buyer responds..."OK". That's the difference between the Canadian show and the U.S. :rolling:

Thanks Mike. Seems like the Canadian show is missing out on half of the drama - the negotiation!

One last note on these shows (since I am already blabbing incessantly) I'd love to see a tee shirt that says "I got bent over at the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop". I think they would fly off the shelves. :biggrin:

Archived