Sparking: Replacing flints

Racerxc70

Yes, but you have to use a soft flint. The flints that you can buy for lighter's will not work very well or at all in most cases as they are a very hard flint. So you have to buy a repro sparking toy to rob the flint from .

Hi, Racerxc70! I have already replaced flints in gun and small robot wind-ups, as long as the toy had tabs to open and separate. The flint that I used were slightly larger in size than the original,and I had to use a thumb-drill to carefully drill the hole larger on the moving tab that holds the flint. If you decide to try this, be careful not to drill the hole too big(unless you have the same size) also, be very careful not to bend any of the thin metal parts; I wrecked a toy by doing this, but was successful other times. Hope this helps, it is great to get them sparking again! :biggrin:

I remember somebody, FJW I think, suggesting that the replacement flint could be epoxied in place, directly to the old flint stub, if need be. In some cases, the robot doesn't even need to be opened up to accomplish this.

• Brian.. changed the title to Sparking: Replacing flints

Archived