Odd ALPS/LINDBERG LINE DOOR ROBOT

chilli

Well, eyes down, get stuck in, another little mystery.

I received my new doors robot about 40 mins ago, and i love it.

I was really lucky and won it from a French auction of a fantastic robot space toy collection 2 weeks ago.

I think it had been bypassed as it looked "wrong"

A Door robot with a "face" no way!!!

I thought to myself I am sure it looks fine apart from some art work on the dome, I can always remove that and got a great deal.

Well have a look and see what you think.

The face is not painted but transfers and the number 7 on the back is a transfer on a painted red blob.But then there is the Lindberg line logo transfer above the made in Japan.

robots70826_zpsac1ddcd7.jpgrobots708261_zpsf125c102.jpg

robots70825_zps6f085ab1.jpgrobots708251_zps1f1de66d.jpg

I have done a little research in the last half hour and Lindberg line kits and diecast goes back to 1930.

So the question is the robot either was adapted by someone after purchase or was it a salesmans sample of a newline that did not go into production.

The transfers on the face intrigue me. was there a set already that match them?

I have found the "7' on this car.lindberg-135-sprite_zpsb9bc14ca.jpg

Did the transfer kit contain a lindberg line logo?

I remember collecting these lindy loony kits as a kid and wonder if the face transfer comes from them?

LIND_Glob_BA_zps1102f9ae.jpg

The auction did not say who's collection it was only a Mr X, but there is a French collector on Alphadrome that has recently had a beautiful space tank on ebay and sets of his portfolio of space toys for sale on there. He was recently mentioned on this site re the photo portfolio and was I was going to contact him if anyone can remind me of the link? He probably knew the collector involved in the auction and might have the answers.

Cheers all

Chilli

wonderful condition and nice pick up mark, judging by the end price you got yourself an amazing deal.

congrats mate!

Beautiful door robot!!! Congrats!

Yes those transfers are what in Canada and the U.S.we call decals. I do recall Lindberg model kits having that 'Lindberg Line' decal, the numbers are race car numbers. The black and white shapes are typical 1950's hot rod type. These decals should flake off easily, I doubt a kid in the '50s or 60's used a solvent to smooth them out as serious modellers often do.

Again, that's a great addition to your collection Chilli, one of my faves.

Hi, thanks for info, I might leave them on as they seem to fit.

Even better news is I put in a bulb and he fired up first time, spinning and walking.

I am double pleased as a door and a robby were the 2 robots I most wanted when I started last year, well I have 4 robbys so far but never expected to get such a perfect door at a price I could afford.

Brilliant,and a perfect roto robot was included in the price. The roto is up for sale if anyone interested.

Another interesting thing with both of the robots was the collector had thick fishing line fastened to the arm/shoulder so they must have been displayed flying like Peter Pan, A pretty cool idea with limited space as a whole row could be suspended down from the ceiling on 2 lines.

Cheers

Chilli

Could be , but considering the condition I think is must have been kept very well. No dust , no fade. Perfect.

Can anyone point me to the French member that has the fantastic all boxed collection on here from a few years ago that made the photographic portfolio of his items and was recently selling on ebay, I think he will know the information on the auctioned robots.

cheers

Chilli

NICE robot!

I agree with Morbius -- looks like someone just added some decals. I also thought the same thing about the fishing line -- that maybe it was used in a store somewhere as a display item. No way to tell, though.

A very nice piece. I'd remove the decals if possible. I don't think they're anything more than something someone did as an aftermarket modification, and if you can get them off without damaging the toy, you'll have yourself one excellent Door robot.

Yea, I reckon they were just a modification but 3 things in their favour, it does suit the robot (ok, dont shoot me!!!)

second it seems a shame to remove something that has been there 50 odd years and third, without them l reckon l would have not got such a bargain. I have got very use to him today. My lucky 7 door robot keep his "tats". on my watch anyhow.

cheers

M

• 4 weeks later...

Talk about bringing me a bit of luck, guess he was waiting for his mate. I have been longing for a Door robot and within a month I have 2. Not going to tell you how much though :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: but I'm a very happy bunny.

I have put them in side by side to show the differences in colour, not just the base blue but the gold.Also the spinners. By the looks of the tabs neither if these robots have been opened or messed with. Unbelievable they can both be in such good nick.

Interesting and perfect colour combination of the tan blue wire.I am going to state that it is original as it is also that combination inside the remote where it has broke off. I am going to add that to the thread on Door wire colour.( what an exciting life I lead!!!)

Just noticed that the on the new door, right, that the front of the robot under the head, inside the litho, and the foot have been factory painted in a brown and the arms, back(inside the litho) and side of legs in a gold. Guessing one worker ran out of gold paint and his friend did not. Also , as the robot was just sold as "a Vintage robot" the seller would not have tampered with the robot and the hands are original, showing 2 variations, although one pair might have been exposed to light etc.

post-1849-0-78159900-1408535345_thumb.jppost-1849-0-17425300-1408535383_thumb.jppost-1849-0-66335200-1408535404_thumb.jppost-1849-0-14305500-1408535417_thumb.jp

Congrats Chilli! It looks to me that the robot on the left received more UV light than the robot on the right. That could explain the condition of the hands as well as the lighter paint (fading). Are you going to replace the wire on the newest one? I have some new green wire that is similar to one of the kinds of wire that the Door robots originally used. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you some. Just PM me with your address.

Hey, thanks Don,

thanks for the offer but I think I am going to claim that the blue-brown wire is original.

It is very brittle and the fact it has broken at the remote with blue -brown in the remote.

It is a fantastic colour with the robot, looks like it was there from the start, and the tabs have not been touched.

I think the paints are different shades, the gold is definitely different sort of paint between the 2 robots and the new one on the right the gold is different from front to back and on the foot.

I know what you mean about uv but it is too even to be the cause, and the reds have not faded.

Repaired the wire, gave the motor a squirt of switch spray and it burst into life. Brilliant.

Cheers

Chilli

Archived